Making a memorable football video for banquet

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

First, I should probably be clear: I'm nothing more than a rank amateur.  I do love the editing video I shoot but I'm just a Dad with a consumer camera and iMovie.  No one is going to confuse my work with ANYTHING all of you produce and I have such a great appreciation for the work that all professional videographers do.

That being said, I'm wondering if any of you can help me with some advice on how to create a video to be shown at a team banquet next fall for a high school football team.  I'm dealing with some serious creative blockage.  I just don't know how to make this memorable.  Last year, the Boosters organization paid a local gentleman $1500 to make a video, but those funds are not available this year and I've been asked if I could put something together.  I've got a son on the team and will be at every game, so I said I could try.

Are there any of you who have created one of these and can give me ideas of how you painted a picture of the season?  Can you share with me how the story unfolded on video?  Can you tell me how the video unfolded…how did it begin…what was in the middle…and how did it end?  Was there anyhting you can share that went over well?  Mistakes to avoid?

I imagine doing one of these for a team that wins a championship can be bit easier, but I'm not sure about crafting something compelling with an ordinary season.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share. 

Participant

I am sure others will have lots of ideas and advice. I have done several of these. You can do a great job with a consumer camera and imovie. Just off the top of my head, edit and cut right before and after an action filled play. Don't make any one clip too long. Make sure to take some wide shots of fields. Make sure you get quick shots of every kid-don't leave anyone out. Pepper in a couple of quick talking clips of parents and coaches saying things like "they did great" or "these kids are awesome!" 

Find out how long the video should be. The kids love seeing themselves. It's ususally the highlight of the banquet. Have some DVDs on hand to sell. Even if its not pro, kids and parents may want a copy.

Hope this helps a little…

Coachgrd, I too am an amatuer who loves video work.  I did a highlight type video for my son's senior basketball season. I think the trick is to find great music to set the tempo of the piece. I use a prosumer Sony and Final Cut ProX but most of what I did could be done to some extent with iMovie. The tedious part is finding the clips you want to use. I like to make notes (time on tape and what happened) of anything that might be of use while I'm shooting the games. This alone will save you hours of sifting through footage next time. While mine was focused on my son it should not be too difficult to pick out shots from all the kids. If you care to check it out on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIVc85Sla6M

Participant

Thanks to the both of you for your comments/ideas.  Every little things helps.  And Kerry, I checked out your son's highlight video…nice work!  Just curious, if I make the jump up to a prosumer camera at some point, what are you using?

Grateful for other ideas as well…

Participant

It's always nice to get new gear Coach, but for this job, don't get something too big and cumbersome. I've used a PANASONIC TM900. I think there's an updated version. 

Participant

coachgrd, if you're looking to make an exciting and dramatic video, plan it out as best as possible. Plan on getting practice sessions – players working out, hitting the sleds, and all the other drills from as many angles as you can. Stand behind the QB when he launches a long one (if the coach permits) and follow the ball's path. At games, plan on being high in the stands for a while then on the field for low level action shots. Shoot lots of close-ups of the players as the plays unfold – get their emotions and the audio too. Consider being at the end zone if a touchdown is imminent. 

Get lots of footage too. It's always better to have a lot more footage than you need than to need more than you have. 

As you edit, build the footage into a story from the practice through the season. Use fast paced music and fast cuts. If you're not sure, ask the players what they listen to. It might include rap but that's what gets their attention. Just be careful with rap; some of the songs have four letter words sprinkled through the lyrics.

Even if the team has a less than stellar season, a well crafted video can really lift the player's spirits.

Participant

I've been doing end of year sports banquet videos for my two kids for the past severa years.  Like you, I'm not a professional, but I do try to expand my abilities with each video I make.  I've done videos for high school lacrosse, football and downhill alpine ski racing.  I shoot virtually all my own pictures and then turn them into Ken Burns style "pan and scan" vdeos.  The good news for you, is you still have plenty of time to plan and get footage for your video.  I have used a couple of different formats, including player and coach introductions, individual game highlights, player highlights, bloopers, segment on seniors, player stats.  As someone else posted, make sure you get EVERYONE into the video (I use a checklist), not just the team "stars" (everyone wants to feel like they are part of the team, even if they ride the bench most of the time).  The closeup shots of players, where you can see their expressions is great.  I did my first green screen last year for the lacrosse team <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=251dTWsznzE">2013 Lacrosse Video Shoot Outtakes</a>, and was quite happy with how it turned out.  I had planned everything and was all setup for the team prior to one of our home games and was able to get everyone "on camera" for their intro in less than a minute per player/coach.  It was a lot of fun.  You can see several of these if you do a search for hobie480 (my username) on YouTube.

Participant

Hi coachgrd, I started just as a dad getting some game video for my sons indoor soccer…..1000 games later I guess I have learnt a few things. Many great ideas listed above. Some quick tips:

Cutting out the exact footage can take for ever. I use an app called Timestamp on my iPad while I am filming. I have buttons for goals, saves, bloopers etc. As some thing happens I touch the appropriate button and I get a log file that tells me exactly where in my hours and hours of footage I can find that goal, save etc. Pretty sure iMovie supports keyword tagging. This will be important for organising your clips.

Bloopers Videos are the most popular at the presentation nights. Here is an example:

Slow motion replays and freeze frames are key for bloopers videos. I can imagine for American Football your could make a great season bloopers reel….big hit, fumbles, sideline tumbles etc etc.

Music as meantioned by others is very important. For action videos 135bpm is recommended.  If you end up loading the video to Youtube, some music tracks will result in the video being unavailable on mobile devices.  For this reason I use royalty free music tracks to avoid this. You will find that almost all the players would watch the video on their mobile devices. 

As far as equipment is concerned:

1. A good quality tripod with a quality "fluid" video head.

2. Video in 1080p and 60 frames. The 60 frames a second will be important when doing slow motion replays.

3. Invest in a gun mic. You don't necessarily want the conversations of people close to you on the video.

4. If you video lots of games, get a thunderbolt drive for your mac. Also don't under estimate the rendering/production time in iMovie.

Goodluck

Participant

Thanks to ALL of you for the fantastic response to my question.  I've gathered some great ideas from each one of you.  I sincerely enjoy reading your responses.

I've got time on my side.  The season is months away but I certainly can capture some summer workout shots that might come in handy.  I also plan to spend some time on youtube checking out the work of others who may have done similar projects.  I also noticed on my Sony camera that I have a mic jack, but no boot.  Darn.  In doing some quick checking, it seems that I can get a battery powered mic??? Does that sound right? Really wish I would have seen the advantage of a boot before I bought this camera, but oh well.

Love to hear the thoughts of anyone else too.

Gary

Participant

You mention "boot" but I think you mean "shoe." To attach an external shotgun style mic to your consumer camera, you'll need a flash bracket like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/774435-REG/Dot_Line_DL_0308_Right_Angle_Flash_Bracket.html

I've owned a similar bracket since I was in high school and that was when Nixon was President! I still use it too. The mic can be attached to the flash mount, and the bracket itself can be attached to a tripod so you don't have to dismantle the rig when you move around. The extra benefit of the bracket is it helps you stabilize the camera so there's less shakiness.

If this mic is in your budget, this would be a great choice for outdoor shooting: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/937181-REG/rode_videomic_with_fuzzy_windbuster.html . The Rode series of mics are very good quality, and the inclusion of the "dead cat" wind muff is essential for outdoor shooting to prevent wind noise from wiping out the audio. This mic operates with a 9volt battery that should last for many hours. The mic plugs into a standard 3.5mm plug, which I'm guessing your Sony probably has.

I'd recommend making these purchases from B&H as well, because they are a great store to do business with. Many pros do business there, and if you need any advice, help, or need to return something, they are very willing to help out.

Participant

Have you looked up organizational/charity promotional videos on youtube. They often face the challenge of telling a good story for their organization and can give you some good ideas.

Participant

Well, everyone…its done!  I put together what I think is a decent production.  It is 9:15 long.  I'm my own worst critic, but my wife is even worse.  If the video didn't work, she certainly let me know.  She likes it.

I decided pretty early on to just take Kenny Chesney's "Boys of Fall" and simply follow the lyrics.  I found a version of the song with the Saint's Sean Payton talking to his old high school team before a game and boy is the speach powerful.  It really added to the song.  I then followed it up with Uncle Krakcker's You Make Me Smile.  I think the latter will help soothe the 4-6 season at the banquet.  I do not intend to sell the DVD because I recognize these are copyrighted songs, but if anyone wants one I will find a way to burn it at no charge.

I learned a very valuble lesson:  back up your material!!!  I had basically the entire thing done with about 3 games to go, and then opened the project only to find all my video was "corrupted."  I was sick.  I was able to recover about 75% of it through time machine, but I did lose about 25% of my footage.  I thought "thank God I don't do this for money or someone would be pi$$ed!"

So THANK YOU all for your suggestions.  I checked back often to review your suggestions!

Participant

Hi coachgrd. Glad your video came out good. I'd like to check it out, but I don't see a link to it anywhere. 

I was in the same situation as you this year. My son played tackle football for the first time and I wanted to record every game and make a season highlight dvd for the kids at the end of the year. The age group is 8-10 year olds. 

I'm totally just an ammature and never have done anything like this before. I messed around with iMovie many times and enjoy editing. I have a Sony HDR-PJ650V camera. 

For this I learned and used FCPX and Motion 5.  I wanted to be able to do more. 

I struggled too trying to think of a story since it was just an average season. I really wanted the kids to feel good about themselves. Here's what I came up with: 

It's long, about 45 min, so check it out if you want when you have some time. 
      I have gotten great feedback, the parents and kids love it, watching it multiple times. Great momento for them, wish I had videos like this from my playing days. 

My son is number 28. 
      I did all the stats for the kids too. 
      Let me know what you guys think. I wanted to do a voiceover for the beginning, but didn't have time to get the guy to do it. You'll see what I mean. 

Thanks,
      jeff

Thanks Coach, right now I'm working with a Sony HD HVR1000N. It's a shoulder mount unit that I got so I could be more mobile on my shoots by not having to move a tripod everytime I move. Great 1080/30fps for sports and outdoor shooting but like most cameras it lacks in low light. Currently I am saving for a Cannon XA20 later on this summer to be my frontline shooter and use the Sony as a backup. 

Participant

Thanks Ed, nice information.  I purchased the Sony camera from B & H and my experience was excellent.  I will look into those items you suggested.  Thanks for taking the time to point those out.

Gary

Participant

Great vid "2013 Portage Central Varsity Football Team Intro"

A couple of questions. What software did you use for the titles? Also what is the name of the song on the audio. Thanks JB

Participant

I use a lot of Digital Juice products (DigtalJuice.com), including video animation templates and music, all which are royalty free (i.e. you own the rights to include it in your video and don't have to pay someone for the rights to use it, or be worried that someone is going to sue you for copyright infringment).  The video animation with text is called "UpInLights", which is part of the Digital Juice product Ready 2 Go for Vegas Volume 12.  I use Vegas Pro 12 for my editing, but have used other programs in the past.  There are more consumer oriented versions of Sony Vegas also available (Vegas Movie Studio + DVD), which costs less.  The music is also from Digital Juice.  The  song is: Willful Steps, from the product Stack Traxx: Vol 40 (Alteratve Stacks), which I cut and pasted to get the correct amount of time I needed for that video segment (over 12 minutes and 30 seconds).  Hope this info helps you out.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap