Magnifying effect on underlying layer

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey,

I'm trying to create an effect using a mask. It doesn't HAVE to have a mask, but this is the way I'm approaching it. What I'm trying to do is move the mask over a layer that is playing a clip and have it reveal another layer that has been scaled up to 200%. I'm doing this to try and great a sort of magnifying glass effect but using a rectangular mask.

The problem is that the scaled layer's content doesn't sit exactly over the original layer, because of it's scaling, so it only really works around the center of the image. For example, if there is a character moving around in the original layer, the scaled layer has a larger version of that character but the position is offset because I've scaled with a central anchor. I hope I'm explaining this properly!

Is there a way to achieve the effect without having to actually move the position of the scaled layer each time I apply the mask, so that it will sit in the right position? It's a nightmare because the mask is animated and moves around a lot. Please help!

Thanks,

D.

what NLE are you using?

Participant

Hey. I'm using After Effects CS6

Have you seen this video?

or perhaps this one.

Participant

Perfect! Thanks. Guess a little more YouTube searching would have got me there. Appreciate the help.

By the way, you wouldn't have any advice on my other post would you?? http://www.videomaker.com/forum/topic/choppy-motion-on-black-magic-pocket-cinema

Glad I could help. I did see your other post. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Black Magic Design cameras. (I wish I could say I did. ;)) Is it looking like that coming straight out of the camera?

Participant

No problem. Yeah, I copied the footage straight from the card and the files play back with that jerky motion. At first I thought it was because my mac was struggling to playback the files smoothly because of their size, but they look the same on Vimeo and even when converted them to smaller sizes with Adobe Media Convertor. I played them back in QuickTime and VLC but still jerky. I've a bad feeling that it was the O.I.S. on the Lumix lens. I think that it was attempting to stabilise the image while I was moving, hence spoiling the smooth motion? I tried using some frame blend to sort it out but it looks terrible!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap