Magix Movie Studio

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve been a Sony Movie Studio user for years. When the latest version (Platinum 13 came out, it would not work properly with 4K displays.

They knew it. They said they would fix it. And for months, going on years, they did nothing about it. And they also would say absolutely nothing about WHEN they would correct it.

Then, as you know, they sold the software to Magix without doing anything about it’s rather serious shortcomings. And now Magix is neglecting the software in exactly the same way.

And all Magix will say is that they will “correct it in the next version”. However, they will say nothing about when that might be, not willing offering even a rough timeframe.)

Short-story-long, I am ready to “get off the boat” with these people, their lousy planning and their complete lack of regard for long-time, loyal users.

My question ?

Can you tell what might be the closest parallel for Movie Studio, in terms of power, user-friendliness and cost ?

Thanks for any information you may provide.

Dan Little

I’ve had Magix Pro X5, Pro X6 (got my money back!), and now, sadly, Pro X7. This latest version is on a brand new PC built for video editing – at nearly £2,000. The thing still doesn’t work properly. Do I trust Magix? Not with an elongated barge pole!!! I’ve downloaded the trial Vegas 14. It works OK. I’m a newcomer to Sony Vegas but find it quite good after a few hours working with it. But I’m no expert. One thing I do know, I can’t see a future for it in the hands of Magix. I too need a good editing package, one where it can handle 5 cameras from a concert of 2hours length. It’s no help to you Dan, but perhaps someone out there is listening.

Participant

You are one of dozens of Sony Vegas users who have expressed dissatisfaction with Magix and it’s Vegas 14. As I’ve said on the Vegas forum, I believe rather than regard the Magix release as Vegas 14 it should be regarded as Magix Vegas 1.0.

Magix inherited sadly neglected software from Sony, software based on code written more than ten years earlier. Many believe that this code is beyond hope of redemption, beyond the possibility of making it work with all the new file formats being cranked out by camera manufacturers.

Magix really has two options regarding Vegas: continue trying to salvage the ancient software, alienating users like yourself, or writing entirely new code that will respond to the demands of video acquisition and post production in 2017 and beyond.

My advice, for whatever it’s worth, is to hang tight and wait for the arrival of Vegas 15 (Magix 2.0) which either will/will not keep Vegas alive as one of the better editing programs. While waiting, take a look at Resolve, extremely powerful free software that may do the job for you.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap