Macrosystem Casablanca standalone editors

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Macrosystem Casablanca standalone editors

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Does anyone on this forum use Macrosystem Casablanca standalone editors ?

I use the Renommee Plus, and love it.

Videomaker used to review their editors, but haven't done so for some time.

If anyone wants to discuss them offline with me, I'm at:   lenvine20@yahoo.ca

Happy editing.

Len Vine

Participant

We had several of their devices over the years. Haven't used ours since the advent of NLE software, however. We started with the Casablanca, then bought a Kron and upgraded it for a while. In the long run, though, software programs like Vegas Pro, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere really left the dedicated hardware approach behind. The last dedicated device in our editing suites, which we still use quite often, is the Rolland Edirol which, although it too has its limitations, is a great tool for "quick and dirty" production.

In the final analysis, the operative word in all of this is "tool." If the Renommee is a tool that works for you, it's the one to have on your editing desk.

If you're looking for support, or just for a chat, you might contact Gary McNally in Blaine, Washington.Last I checked, you can contact him at McNally's Plug and Play (360-371-2130) or via email (garymcnally at earthlink.net.) He specializes in Casablanca products and is an authorized dealer, in addition to being a great guy.

Participant

Thank you Jack for your reply.

I am aware of Gary McNally, because I subscribe to what is called the Cassie Tips List, whereby Casablanca users discuss the subject of editing, and Gary is one of the members, as are many other members who are also authorized Casablanca dealers, like Carroll Lam of ClamCam Video of Tucson, Arizona, who moderates the Cassie Tips List.

I'm not a dealer, just a user of their editors.

The problem has been that Macrosystem, for whatever reason, has done next to no advertizing on their editors, so that, apart from us dedicated users, their standalone editors are virtually unknown in the video editing world.

But as you rightly say, whatever editing system works for you, that's the one you should use.

Thanks for your input,

Len Vine

Peterborough, Ontario

Canada.

P.S. I enjoyed viewing your website.

Participant

For anyone interested, here is a guy advertising his Casablanca Prestige standalone video editor for sale on EBay. 

Len Vine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160958237010?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Participant

Hi Len, & Jack,

I'm thinking about buying a Casablanca S6000 or S3000 from Ira up in Mass. in the next few weeks unless someone talks me out of it.  I'm tired of trying to edit on a computer there are just two many problems with either the software or the comupter makes me crazy.  If you can tell me more about the units I would to hear about it. Thank you, Maria

Participant

Hi Len, & Jack,

I'm thinking about buying a Casablanca S6000 or S3000 from Ira up in Mass. in the next few weeks unless someone talks me out of it.  I'm tired of trying to edit on a computer there are just two many problems with either the software or the comupter makes me crazy.  If you can tell me more about the units I would to hear about it. Thank you, Maria

Participant

Hi Len, & Jack,

Participant

Hi Len, & Jack,

Participant

Hi Len, & Jack,

Participant

Hi Len, & Jack,

Participant

Hi Len, & Jack,

Participant

up state NY

Participant

Hi Len, Can you tell me how you like working on your editing deck?  I'm looking to buy one and I'm not sure if I will like using it, so before I buy one I would like to hear about how others feel about them. Hope you can help me?

Thank you, Maria

Participant

Maria, I love my editor. I have a Renommee Plus. Is there someone in your area selling a Casablanca editor ? There are many dealers throughout the country. You may also be interested in their website  http://www.macrosystem.us    There are thousands of satisfied users throughout the country, and other countries too. I'm in Ontario Canada, and their are many users of these editors in the U.K. and Australia, etc.  One of the top experts on the system, is Chet Davis, a former Casablanca employee, who now independantly teaches how to use these editors, as you see from his website  http://www.casablancaexpert.com     These is nothing he doesn't know about the Casablanca editing sytem. If there is anything else I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask me.  Good luck.  Len Vine

Participant

Also, Maria, when you go to http://www.macrosystem.us  in the column on the left, where it says "Find A Reseller" this will take you to the list of dealers throughout the US and Canada who sell Casablnaca editors. I hope you can find one near you.    Len

Participant

Hi Len, a few members of our club (Victoria Video Club, Victoria BC Canada) use macrosystems. Prestige, Kron, etc…and they seem pretty happy while producing their movies. I'll mention this post and maybe they will drop in to reminisce. We hosted an amateur video conference a number of years back and Chet Davis attended, putting on a demonstration and talking up the systems…but marketing for the systems is almost non-existent.

As Maria has expressed, I have heard others express frustration with their editing system…, but I always caution folks about the "grass is greener" approach to solving problems. Just becuase someone has a 'trouble-free' editor (whether windows/mac/macrosystems) does not mean that your experience will be the same. One member here in Victoria has had a laundry list of problems with her Prestige, while another member, up in Nanaimo has only had the occasional crash with his Renommee. And an 'original' casablanca machine, that was upgraded for the DV revolution, for one user is truckin' along fine well into its multiple decade lifespan. 

There has always been a bit of a "my editor is better than your editor" banter in the club, noteably the Macintosh users making the biggest claims, but as one poster said earlier, its just a tool and how you use the tool determines the outcome…not the feature list of 'gosh-wow' abilities. Who cares if one package has 200 transitions and the next has 1,200.

We recently did a green-screen workshop in the club, and members of 'all' groups went home and experimented with their footage. A number of differences became apparent, with Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro users getting the best results, while Pinnacle studio users, and macrosystems users found the most limits on their options to get a good chroma key effect. 

The pricing options for extra fonts, or add on programs (e.g. effects) have always struck me as very expensive for macrosystem users…want a 1,000 fonts, $24 for Windows or Mac, but on Macrosystems its a hefty bill for a handful of fonts…feels like turning the clock back to the days when you saved up your money to add 'one' new font to your system…of course if you don't need 1,000 fonts then its no loss <grin>.

So the best approach is still to try to imagine your needs…basic editing or a movie with lots of special effects…then look at the editing software and see what the best match is.

We have on member who has a 'dedicated' editor…a windows machine that is only used for editing. No games/other programs…and he is very happy with the reliability of that…

Anyway, glad that you are enjoying your editing system and hope you get many more years of productive editing with it…!!

Hi Len.

Just realised I am a member of this Forum.  I had completely forgotten that I had subbed. I think its the first time I have logged in. Anyhow, as you know I am a Casablanca Prestige user with SE 9.1.

Participant

Hi wanderer, good to know you're on the Forum.                                                                       Hello  mrveronn, glad to hear of any clubs like yours in Canada, I'm located in Peterborough, Ontario, formerly lived in Toronto. I'm on the Cassie Tips List, You folks should join by contacting moderator Carroll Lam at cassie-tips@listserv2.dakota.net  You'll find it very informative about all things to do with Casablanca. Lets get more Canucks in there !      I don't imagine any of your members ever attended Jim Meeker's March Get Together (MGT) in the U.S.? These were annual get togethers of Casabalnca users sharing our editing experiences and meeting a great bunch of guys and gals. The last one was held in the small town of Bettendorf, Iowa, on the shores of the Mississipi. You were talking about green screen with Casablanca editors not being as good as other systems. I have had great success with Casblanca software called Bluebox World, and always found it woeked like a charm as you can see in that video I shot at that MGT.  I like to make music videos and karake videos just for fun, and while at this recent MGT, I thought I'g get e few of the guys to dress up like females. I rentd costumes, feahtered boas, and wigs and tras nsformed these guys into the uglist bunch of dames you ever saw, and they lip synced to that ols Supremes hit You Can't Hurry Love. All of this was green screened using Bluebox World.                          Take a look.http://vimeo.com/38722592                                                                                              Cheers, Len Vine

Participant

I don't mean to rain on anyone's party, but I used these systems years ago. And while I could see the potential of this kind of system, Macro-System/Casablanca have just not kept up with technology and other editing platforms. Even as the compmany has been sold to a German Company, MacroMotion, very little can found out about the New Editors(Topaz and Karat) they have announced and nothing is on the Macro-System/Cassablanca website. And I have to say without any disrespect to Len, this system is way overpriced and the effects and transitions are "cheesy" at best. And the truth be told, what can this system do that iMovie for free, can't do?? Or better still, what can iMovie do that this system can't for 3grand? First and most importantly, capture video! With no support for FIrewire, much less Thunderbolt, there are no XLR inputs either. 64bit architecture?, NO!

And compared to Final Cut Pro X, on one of the new iMacs, this system wouldbe the biggest wate of money you could spend. FCPX allows for direct upload to FB and YouTube and can export audio only in all kinds of formats. With the ability to feed up to 64 angles of video and synch it all for multi-cam edits, and vast support of Plug-In companies with very professional effects, transitions and Color Grading tools including a new one from Technicolor, FCPX blows this system to pieces. The only suggestion (comapred in price) I have for a stand alone editor would be the Tri-Caster 40 for 4995. While more expensive, website support and in and outs for pretty much everything is a much more sensible use of your cash! And what can't you do with it? From streaming live to virtual sets to direct upload to full live production, its just a much much better product. Sorry Len, but I think pushing this editor is irresponsible to what is now avalible and much more cost effective realtive to what you get and can do.

Participant

I have been using the Macrosystem Casablanca NLE systems since 1996 when they first hit the market. I have owned nearly every model Macrosystem has ever released. I absolutely love my Casablanca S-4100. It is rock solid.

Now that the operating system is Linux based, the sky is the limit as far as future software/hardware development is concerned. The current operating system is called: Bogart. These generation 3 Bogart editors can ingest & edit full HD 1920 X 1080i or 30P footage including many other flavors of HD footage including SD footage faster than real-time. Also, you can ingest mamory card based footage via USB INCLUDING iLink Firewire. The footage does not have to be converted to .mov in order to start the editing process, you can begin editing immediately after ingesting. There is a large array of video/audio codec options for your mastered edit project to export to. The system can create & author Blu-ray, SD-DVD, and files that can be read on PC/MAC hard drives and flash drives.

Until you have reviewed professional videos produced with the Macrosystem Casablanca NLE & have actually edited or seen a demo of a unit, it is not fair to say that the system is out dated or cheesy by any stretch…There are some great things still in development in regard to this product…..I invite anyone who is considering a reliable editing system to seriously consider the Macrosystem Casablanca NLE. They have a great dealer network. You can go on their website to find the nearest one to your location for a hands on demo. Please visit my website listed below for video samples all produced with the Macrosystem Casablanca Bogart NLE system.

Joel Brooks

MIT Video

http://www.mitvideoproductions.com&nbsp;

Participant

ProPhotog 1, I was merely replying to Maria who was asking for info on Macrosystem Casablanca editors, and I provided her with that information. What's  irrresponsible about that?  Have you used Casablanca editors ? The Topaz and Karat editors to which you refer have not been  released yet in the U.S. but you can read about them on Macrosystem's German site. 

Participant

Macrosystem has just announced that Casablanca will soon be available in a PC software version.                                                                                                                                           The new Windows software requires Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8                           For more info, go to http://www.macrosystem.us

Participant

Funny but I was at one of the many Apple stores and I started playing with final Cut Pro X and fell in love with it so I'm waiting for the new computers to come out and see what the new upgrades are going to be before I make up my mind as to which one to buy. But thank you all for all your advice on which editing deck to buy.

Maria

Participant

Hi Maria,
      I’m glad you took the time to look at other systems…I would highly recommend looking up a dealer near your area & go play with a Macrosystem Casablanca Karat…I think once you see how easy it is to navigate & to injest both SD or HD footage via USB or firewire without transcoding the footage to .mov files, you will want one…you owe it to yourself to get a hands-on experience with one….

Participant

I agree with Joel, Maria. You should try out a Casablanca editor and then decide how you like it compared to other editng systems.  Len Vine

I have had 2 Casablanca editors. If you are considering buying one I will be happy to share my experience pro and con if you send me a private message.

Participant

Just re-discovered this forum after a long, long absence.  I considered a Casablanca system some 10 years ago, but found it a little pricey for me.  I invested in a quad-core PC which is for video only, using Pinnacle Studio.  After a few tweaks for Pinnacle, I have had good results for years. 

Participant

I personally love the Macrosystem Casablanca NLE product line.  Now with new Windows based systems to be released soon, the systems keep on getting more powerful while still maintaining the great GUI and low learning curve.  Also, I am a Macrosystem Americas Dealer.  I welcome new clients to contact me for more information on these incredible systems. I also invite all to view my website to view video samples all editied on the Macrosystem NLE.

Participant

Check ou the new Casablanca 4 Studio Pro from Macrosystem. It rocks!

Joel Brooks
      Macrosystem Americas Dealer
      http://www.mitvideoproductions.com
      jbrooks@mitvideoproductions.com
      817-771-8347

I recently upgraded to a Casablanca SL 1000 using Bogart 8. Now upgrading to 8.03 for Arabesk 7. Just finished a project about the history of London between Blackfriars and Holborn. Watched a blu ray of it last night. Very pleased with it. Will offer a free copy to a library in London.

Participant

Maria,  Where are you located ?    Len Vine

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cinema cameras — 2020

Determining the best cinema cameras on the market today can be complicated. Here are the first cameras you should consider
homicide-bootstrap