Macbook vs. iMac for video editing

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I'm weighing my options between an iMac and a Macbook Pro. I would primarily be using my computer for video editing and other Adobe programs such as Dreamweaver, InDesign, etc. From what I've seen Macbooks are way more expensive but with the obvious benefit of mobility compared to an iMac. I was looking at the quadcore Macbook but the price of even the 15" just seems like too much. I was hoping to spend around $1500 for this, not including the $50/month I'd be paying for the Adobe Cloud. Any thoughts?

Participant

While Macs are good computers, for your price range you might consider Dell's Alienware line… They're designed for gamers, so the specs on these machines is more likely to support the apps you want to run.  I just got an MX14, with an i7 quad core processor, 16GB of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce 650, and a 750GB SSD for about $2000.00.  A couple hundred of that went to an extended service plan, so you could get something comperable for around $1,500.00. 

They're extremely well made.  I've also got an Aurora R4 (desktop) that's amazing.  You'll get far more bang for your buck with Alienware. 

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

I have the 13" Retina MacBook Pro. While it's great for editing video, storage is a problem. You can only get them with SSDs now, so an external drive is pretty necessary.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Professional Fixed-Lens Camcorder Buyer’s Guide

Best camcorders for any video shooter — 2020

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap