Luma over 100%. Is it ok or not?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      paolog

Hi

I saw a tutorial where the guy talking about color correction said that the luma value should never go over 100 (he used the Waveform monitor in FCP X)

I shot this video and applied some color correction. After this process, the luma value is way over 100%. I think it still looks ok, what do you think?

http://paolog.evsuite.com/palestrareggioemiliaevs-palestra/

I also applied the broadcast safe plugin but it didn't do much at all..

Thanks

PaoloG

Charles
      Participant

Basically the only time you truly have to worry about luma / IRA values over 100% is for broadcast television. I know you have seen infinate white backgrounds and I am sure they most are over 100%. Plus, if you think about it the white background on VM is probably over 100%.

Hope that helps,

Charles

http://www.cschultzmedia.com

Brian
      Participant

Staying at 100% or lower is good practice and will insure that your signal looks consistant across all platforms.  Go over 100% luma and 75% chroma and TV station proc amps will force your signal into legal color space.  

paolog

Thanks guys… πŸ™‚

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to buy a camera β€” 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.