Low Light Performance: Is a Camcorder or DSLR Better?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Low Light Performance: Is a Camcorder or DSLR Better?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Off the Mark

Does a Camcorder or a DSLR have better video image quality (less noise, sharper image) in low light situations? I would shoot at approximately 6400 ISO to 25,000 ISO range on the DSLR.

Unfortunately I would NOT be able to add lighting to brighten the image. It would have to be all ambient lighting.

I have heard conflicting information. Some people on forums say that a one-inch camcorder would do better, but others say that a full frame or aps-c (crop sensor) would do better.

Here is what Larry C. of B and H Pro Video and Audio said when I emailed B and H Product support and asked if a camcorder or dslr would do better in low light:

“A DSLR or mirrorless camera with a full frame sensor will be better in low light. The larger the sensor the larger the pixels. This makes a huge difference when shooting at high ISOs.”

Thanks in advance for your input. And again, I unfortunately won’t be able to just add lights to brighten the scene.

Kevin Mc

Larry @ B&H nailed it – kinda… Adding a lens with a very wide (low) aperture (f-stop), of say less than or equal to 1.8 is also part of the formula. As much as I like both DSLR and camcorder formats, I find that DSLR “tends” to have issues maintaining focus on moving objects, especially when your aperture is wide open. Results may vary πŸ™‚

Kevin Mc

Larry @ B&H nailed it – kinda… Adding a lens with a very wide (low) aperture (f-stop), of say less than or equal to 1.8 is also part of the formula. As much as I like both DSLR and camcorder formats, I find that DSLR “tends” to have issues maintaining focus on moving objects, especially when your aperture is wide open. Results may vary πŸ™‚

Kevin Mc

Kevin Mc

Kevin Mc

Kevin Mc

Kevin Mc

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.