Lots of noise with Mini Ursa - Less noise on DLSR. Why?

SpireProds's picture

Hello everyone,

I was working on a project shot with a Mini Ursa. Footage are in raw and flat. I don't own this camera I own a DSLR. Problem is that when I edit footage from Mini Ursa I clearly see noise in the image. Sometimes there's another DOP that took the sequence. I saw video on youtube where the Mini Ursa can take beautiful image in low light but it's not the same thing with the footage I received. Even in day light there's noise sometimes. I don't know what's the setting of his footage. I start wondering that the DOP rise the ISO instead of of playing with apperture. I know that the 800 iso is the limit and sometimes you got noise but he told me the Mini Ursa can go upper and still get a clean image. But I doubt.  Because I took footage with my DSLR with just a led light stuck on it and it's better, even in low light. I'm able to shoot until 800iso and I start to get noise. The DOP said that he can see the difference between my footage and that the Mini Ursa is better then my DSLR but it seems that he don't use his Mini Ursa in the good way because I don't see noise in my footage from DSLR. Even sometimes I need to use a noise remover in After Effect on his footage which is weird because I tought that a 10 000$ camera would worth the price. So could you tell me if a DSLR is better than the Mini Ursa? Does he need more skills to improve his footage?

p.s. I don't have any footage to show you because I just work on editing.

Thank you!

JackMiller's picture

All image noise comes down Luma or chroma noise.

Luma noise is created when the signal is lower than the sensor gain, or signal to noise ratio. What does that mean? It means that when your camera increases sensor sensitivity it does it by adding electricity to the sensor to detect more but the more electricity added the more a base signal is added to the recording which is what you see as noise in the image. If photons then activate a sensors pixel that pixels noise is overwritten by the light detected. This is what's known as higher signal than noise ratio, but if the signal of the incoming light is lower than the electrical gain applied to the sensor you get noise recorded instead of the signal because the noise is brighter pixel value than the any signal detected.

All that means that you need have enough light coming into the camera to overwrite the gain or noise created by the iso or gain applied to the sensor.

Joshua Knight's picture

There's also some ursa's that had FPN issues (Fixed pattern Noise) and needed to be returned, blackmagic replaced these models with new ones when people sent them in