Looking to get involved in editing

Mordred85's picture

Hey guys,
I need help with picking a film-editing program (even if it's a little older) that runs on my computer. I would like to make a little money on the side and I hope my computer isn't too low on requirements. Any response is greatly appreciated.

Here are my system specs:
Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
AMD A6-5200 65 °C
Kabini 28nm Technology
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-10-24)
Motherboard
TOSHIBA Portable PC (Socket FT1) 68 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8400 (Toshiba) 65 °C
Storage
698GB TOSHIBA MQ01ABD075 (SATA) 37 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SU-208DB
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Justin Reto's picture
Plus Member

Well if you just want to get started for free two options are: movie maker = terrible and buggy but a great starter program to learn the basics.
Or
blender = also free but more than a bit complicated, there are tutorials on youtube and such this is a very powerful software and on par with many very expensive options.

Now for paid options; don't even consider adobe without better specs their programs are great but system resource hogs in the worst way. I personally use Sony movie maker (much cheaper than Vegas with almost the same options) and I have it running just fine on several of my laptops. You can pick it up on amazon or through steam and sometimes steam runs a deal like 50% off for the Sony suite which also includes acid and sound forge.

I cant recommend pinnacle because when I tried a paid version it was like having a built in ad they wanted more and more money for ever package, effect, and who knows what else and I'm not into paid software advertising to me all the time.

I don't know how tech savvy you are, but an option would be to run a linux version in dual boot on your machine (I love mint myself) there are several great free editing programs only for linux, and linux is far and away faster than windows so it will leave much more of your system resources available for things like video editing.

One final tip: this might be totally obvious but don't try to multitask on your editing machine with low specs; even opening facebook on chrome can make your system chug. Best bet is you have your smartphone or laptop to do other stuff and only do editing when your editing/processing.

That's all I got for you I wish you the best of luck,

Justin Reto
klookfilm