Looking for some help choosing a video camera

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello, I have absolutely no idea how to buy a camera, and I would appreciate some assistance.

I'm looking for a camera that I can use to make a Kickstarter video, and maybe a few other informational shorts.
      Most of the videos will be people talking and telling stories to the camera. They don't have to be flawless, but I would like them to look pretty good.
      I'm not overly concerned with battery life, zoom, storage space, or burning discs. 
      I need a good picture quality, ease of editing, and a usable recording format. I would also appreciate a low budget option.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations, and thank you very much for your time.

Hi Tempo – for a project like yours, I recommend the $448 Panasonic FZ200 still/video superzoom camera with its 24x constant f2.8 lens and a 2.5mm mic input (you'll need a $5 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter to use standard microphones).  It records to AVCHD, which any modern editing software should be able to handle.

Here is what this little camera can do:

http://vimeo.com/57346685

A budget option would be to get a $199 Logitech Broadcaster wireless webcam with its external mic input.  It can produce results like this (please watch at 720p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dze4AMTPlTo

Whatever you decide, make sure to get a camera with a mic input.  Nothing is worse than watching a video with sound recorded on a consumer camera's built-in mic.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Participant

Thanks a bunch Bill, I took your advice and bought the first one. I really appreciate it

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best microphone for video production — 2021

Whether you’re recording audio for a commercial, a wedding or your next feature film, you need the best microphone possible.
homicide-bootstrap