looking for my first DLSR for mainly video

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

hi everyone im martin from the uk, Im  looking for advice from amateur flim makers and photography pros I'm looking to start making short youtube videos and been looking at DSLR or camcorder, more so a dslr as it's a camera as well. Models I've looked at so far is nikon d5200, canon E700d (t5i) what would be the best for video shooting there's lots of facts and figures but have no idea what they mean. my buget is about £500 /£550 tops many thanks

Take a look at Panasonic's Lumix cameras, as well. They have particularly good video. For YouTube videos, you could probably get away with smaller form-factor cameras, like Canon's G series, or even their S110. I use a Canon S100 for backpacking video, and it turns out surprisingly well.

[QUOTE]hi everyone im martin from the uk, Im  looking for advice from amateur flim makers and photography pros I'm looking to start making short youtube videos and been looking at DSLR or camcorder, more so a dslr as it's a camera as well. Models I've looked at so far is nikon d5200, canon E700d (t5i) what would be the best for video shooting there's lots of facts and figures but have no idea what they mean. my buget is about £500 /£550 tops many thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi Martin – the absolute best still/video camera in your price range in the mirrorless Panasonic Lumix G6 DSLM.  The Nikon D5200 and 700D (and all other DSLRs) have mirrors that block your viewfinder when you shoot video.  Except for the more expensive Canon 70D, DSLRs also have slow and noisy autofocus.  The Panasonic G6, on the other hand, is mirrorless.  Its viewfinder continues to be useful while shooting video (like a camcorder). It also has lightning fast video autofocus – and Panasonic Lumix lenses are video-optimized, with quiet autofocus motors.

The G6 also records at a maximum frame rate of 1080/50p.  The Nikon D5200 and 700D are limited to 1080/30p.  With the Panasonic, you can record at high frame rates and play back at slower frame rates for smooth slow motion.

Here is what this camera can do:

NARRATIVE:

http://vimeo.com/81339712

http://vimeo.com/78037118

SPORTS/SLO MO:

http://vimeo.com/76503135

MUSIC VIDEO:

http://vimeo.com/76081090

http://vimeo.com/84436275

The G6 is also a very capable still camera: http://www.flickr.com/groups/lumix-g6/pool/

You can get a Panasonic factory-refurbished Lumix G6 with the 14-42 kit lens for £399.99 from the Panasonic outlet on eBay with a 12 month free-of-charge repair warranty.  There are only two left at this price.

If you would rather buy a new camera, you can get a Panasonic Lumix G6 body for £400 from baffztronics in London via eBay.  There is only one left at this price. Add a new 14-42 kit lens for £109, and you will have the most capable video/still camera in your price range.

If you can stretch your budget a little, you may want to consider the £177 Panasonic 14-42 power zoom lens.  This compact lens will give you the ability to zoom in or out smoothly while recording.  All camcorders have this feature, but no DSLR has a power zoom.

Hope this is helpful and best of luck!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Do yourself a favor if you already haven't… borrow one 1st!

DSLR rocks but it is by no means cheap! A good lens will set you back $1200 and if you don't have a viewfinder, shell out another $500-700! Rigs, matte box, tripods and mounts…. another grand. I can't stress how important a viewfinder is! Focus on a low light shot is so critcal, if your off by a micron you scene can be wasted.

Not sure if not having a servo zoom is bad thing, not having one makes you rethink how your going to accomplish your shot, most times it's great!

Participant

So guys what is the best all round DLSR for images still and videos and that will be around for a while   As won't be able to aford to up grade my budget will only really strch to £550 uk sterling.so it's a toss between the Nikon d5200  cannon eos700d and the Panasonic G6 

Participant

For shear utility vs $ vs image I was quite stunned by the VERY inexpensive Canon EOS-M.  I found them online for $309, got 2 and put 'em on a Chickenfoot monopod for run 'n' gun, tight spaces, or inconspicuous placement!  The cam is small, records stunning images for a 'cheap' cam, and it came with an 18-55mm lens.  It won't do everything, but it has touch focus on the rear screen you can use while shooting vdo, extremely extensive manual control via touch screen that's really easy to get used to quickly, a nominal stereo mic, stereo audio in for ext sources, extremely long record times depending on mem card size, long battery life, cheap batteries.  I have a Canon 5D, 7D, RED Scarlett (Mr. Phelps), JVC GY-HM650U, 2 GoPros and a Sony AS-15 POV cam, plus some consumer/prosumer stuff.  They all do alot of things very well;  I was simply surprised and impressed at what came out of the EOS-M's, even more so than the 7D for video!  They are also fairly small and quite inconspicuous if that's what you need.  Hope this helps.

Participant

I just purchased the Canon 70D about three months ago. It is the best DSLR video camera I have run yet. You almost don’t realize it is focusing. Plus there is touch screen focus. Watch the video where they have a model walking up to the camera. It works.

Participant

If you need camcorder features(zoom, focus that holds while zooming, non limited capture times) go with camcorder. If those aren't impotant(smooth variable zooms & long recrord lengths) then a dslr can shoot (best for price) in lowlight & color gamut. You sacrifice ease of shooting video style for sensor qualty whenyou go with dslr.

Get with a full frame sensor for optimal performance from your lenses !

[QUOTE]So guys what is the best all round DLSR for images still and videos and that will be around for a while   As won't be able to aford to up grade my budget will only really strch to £550 uk sterling.so it's a toss between the Nikon d5200  cannon eos700d and the Panasonic G6[/QUOTE]

Hi again Martin – if £550 is really all you have to spend, you want this last factory-refurbished Panasonic G6 for £399.99 from Panasonic UK.

It is the only one of the three cameras on your list that doesn't require you to spend extra money for an external video viewfinder or loupe when it is sunny outside and the LCD is washed out by sunlight – because it has a built-in electronic viewfinder.

And it is the only one of the three that doesn't require you to spend money on expensive special effects software such as Twixtor for slow motion – because it has built-in 60 frames per second progressive recording.

Buying a video camera with a mirror (or a mirrorless camera without a viewfinder, such as the EOS M) is pretty much a guarantee that you will have to spend money – beyond the initial price of the camera – to overcome its real world limitations.

Cheers and good luck with your decision,

Bill

Dale – the OP (Martin) says,

[QUOTE]…my budget will only really strch to £550 uk sterling[/QUOTE]

Sadly, the 70D is £858 body only at Amazon UK.  I'm afraid that's well above his budget limit – especially when you factor in the cost of a lens.

Regards,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap