Long Term archives?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Currently I’m a student doing Film and TV at technical college, and as I film and produce more work, I’ve started to have a question on my mind. What is an ideal solution for long term archives of my work. Currently I’ve been placing it onto a 2 TB external hard drive, which is in turn backed up to a 5 TB drive, but I’m not quite sure this is necessarily the best option. Was hoping some people could help me out with some advice on what to do.

When a client’s production is still in the works, all of it resides on my RAID-0 array, which is backed up nightly. When a project is completed, I ‘RAR’ it to an archive drive where it sits for a couple of years, just in case I or the client needs to access the project again. By RAR’ing the project, it shrinks the overall size, making it easy to store. I’m a little protective of my projects. When an archive drive fills up, I ‘may’ delete smaller insignificant projects, but generally I just pull the drive, label it and insert a new drive. Once a project has been bumped to the archive drive, at that point I’m fairly certain that it’s a dead project. The client (or I) have the final renders, and the project has sat dormant for at least six months. I don’t backup my archive drives (as many others do). For me, the archive drive is where projects go to die. I’m just keeping a long-term copy of it ‘just in case’… Often, I’ll store really great drone, or hand-held footage on my production drive for many years (remember, this drive is backed up daily), just in case I want to include previously shot clips in a future production. But eventually, all footage ends up on an archive drive.

Don’t know if that helps… It’s just my method of storing large amounts of data over time.

Participant

Long-term, and this may come as some surprise, but make a copy on VHS or S-VHS or even Mini-DV tape (and with Widescreen SD or HD content, record it in the “squished” 4:3, don’t do a letterbox recording). I’ve made DVD-R’s and stored stuff on hard drives and I’ve had them fail within 6 years, whereas I’ve still got VHS tapes that my parents gave me back in the 80’s that still play fine.

VHS may be considered by some people to be dead, but at least if you couldn’t access your HD or digital files at some point in the future, you would still have a copy of your work that you could use. I would even recommend that you get a S-VHS VCR and record your VHS copies through S-Video to get the best quality on your VHS recordings.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap