Live recording on a laptop with the Panasonic hpx170

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I am starting a video teaching ministry and have free access to a church media room that includes a Panasonic hpx 170 camera. If I can avoid purchasing my own f or e series memory cards I would like to do so. My question is, can I record directly to my laptop’s hard drive? I know this subject has been broached before, but all the information is at least half a decade old. When it comes to technology, that is like the difference between Star Trek and Next Generation. Any help would be appreciated.

Participant

Whether you can record to the HD or not depends on how beefy the laptop is. You must have USB3 to capture video from a camcorder, and you’ll need a capture device. The Avercap U3 device will do the job nicely. I use it and like it. http://amzn.com/B00G9QTUVE

If the laptop does not have a higher end processor (Intel i5 or better) sufficient RAM, the laptop will not deliver smooth video.

Can you post the specs of your laptop (make, model, age, processor, etc)?

Participant

Can’t speak for USB3, but my macbook is happy connected to my JVC HD cameras via firewire, and I often record direct into Premiere as a direct capture. Works fine – been doing it for years now.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap