Live music video flickering?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Spies1234

Hi,

I own 4 cheap Panasonic HC-V270 HD video cameras. They are low spec but do record very well. I have been using the cameras to record live bands, and then using the multi-camera mode in Power Director.

When the camera is very close to a light source (eg LED stage lighting), I often get a flickering / strobing effect. I read somewhere that this may have something to do with shutter speed.

The video below shows what I mean.

The camera is set in auto-mode. Any thoughts?

Andrew

Kevin Mc

You’ll most likely have to experiment with various shutter speeds and take the cameras off of auto-mode. Can you post a video of “just” the flicker? I am not seeing it.

Spies1234

Thank Kevin,
      I haven’t had a chance to try it as yet. Somebody was telling me the 30fps or 60fps frame rate may be impacted by led lights on 50hz power. This being the case, it may be difficult to address. You can see it pretty clearly at around 5.35 on the video.

paulears
      Participant

The lights in question are RGB, possibly even RGBW LEDs, that mix their colours by using pulse wave modulation – which means a chopped up waveform based on the 50Hz main frequency. If they are cycling through the colours, as they’re doing here, as red goes up, blue might be going down. They don’t dim, they simply change the amount of time they are on full – so they flicker by design. You can see a flicker on 25 or 50Hz video, but it will be worse on 30/60Hz as the difference makes a big impact – worse than fluorescent or discharge lighting, which at least do ramp up and down in brightness very quickly, rather than snap on and off quickly.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.