live indoor event lighting?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

So I am charged with shooting a business presentation regularily at a venue setup like a theater. I have alright gear I have been adding on as finances allow, but I still can't get lighting right. Currently I make due with work lights (I use cookie sheets to soften the light and bounce it off the wall.) so almost anything would be an improvement, but here are my challenges. Being indoors there are no windows the only "natural light" is the projector, also they tend to turn "ALL" the room lights off (I swear its just to test the limits of my gear and my patience…) So I try to light the subjects with my lights which is only passable with some post correction and opening up the cameras. Now the other monkey wrench in this and the main reason I am looking to upgrade is, everytime I get complaints that my lights are to bright they hurt the audiences eyes, I would love to turn them down or off but that just is not an option unless black shadowy video is what we are going for. Now I have tried to explain this to the powers that be, but to no avail the burden of quality without sacrificing audience experience rests in my lap.

Please help me! What kind of lights can I get that are multi function, but will serve this end very well.

P.S. I understand 3 point lighting, and sometimes the subjects move, but I don't think a spot is going to fly with this crowd.

Participant

You say the venue is like a theatre? In this case you should treat it like a theatre. Lighting the audience in a theatre is a common problem because the only way to keep them happy is to get the lights up high, and at the shallowest, a 45 degree down angle. Big space means your 3 point lighting needs modification. If the space is big, then you break it into areas and light each area. It's more usual to have a central key, and then fill from the sides. However, that looks a bit strange to the people there. Typical theatrical lighting uses pairs of lights from each side of the centre line, and it works because the drop in intensity because of the distance means as an actor goes left or right means the further one acts a little like a fill. With area lighting you will have at least a couple of fixtures for each area, and sometime backlight – but not always. 

Assuming a modest width, then from above the audience I'd light the working area in open white, allowing good coverage left to right. If there is a lectern or special area, this too would be lit separately, and everything controlled by dimmers to allow balancing. The audience lights might come from the same location and might be coloured – this gives separation between the presenters and the audience, and something like a warm light pink might work. The colour shift obviously looks like colour – and if you want to go cool instead, a steel blue (something like Lee 117) works well.

This means a lot of lights. ordinay interview style lights won't be up to it really unless you can get them very high, and then the stands look horrible.

Wow thank you very much I haven't even considered I might need to go up. I have no idea how I'm going to do that though but at least I can be thinking about it. Thanks again.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap