Lighting for night & outdoors

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      carlmart

I would like to comment something about the Videomaker video “Lighting for Night Video Shoots”.

No comments on the night lighting situations, except for the large number of lights that were suggested to use. Except for the one on the panel (key-light) and the one on the back seats, besides one behind the car and on the other side of the driver, many are not necessary on a low budget.

Now there’s a scene on dinner restaurant which you can solve and not need a large HMI fixture as the video suggests. Just dim the windows. And I do not mean using expensive gels, but simple black tulle fabric. Now this is not something you see in any US lighting situation, but it’s perfect for low budget shoot. This fabric is very cheap, comes in rolls, and you can use 1, 2 or 3 layers to tame the external brightness.

This is something I learned in film school, too many years ago to say here, and taught by a professional DP. That is he USED tulles in his pro shootings. We used it many times to tame large glass windows or doors, and it’s very effective and easy to clamp or even gaffer tape to the walls. The only problem is when the wind outside is intense. but that is quite rare.

Well, just a suggestion.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Production Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best cinema cameras — 2021

Determining the best cinema cameras on the market today can be complicated. Here are the first cameras you should consider
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.