Licensures and Allowing Clients to Recut

sethwingate's picture

OK so this is a new one for me,

I have a client who originally said he would like for me to give him raw drone footage and I explained that I don'r release raw footage.

Now he would like for me to color correct, edit the footage, but leave off music and final graphics.

What kind of licensure do I give him? They want to be able to recut the footage to use basically whenever they want. Do I not worry about that?

What licensure agreements do you use? I usually have a "Single use internal and external marketing" OR "Ongoing use internal and external for multiple uses". The second being more expensive.

paulears's picture

You can go from the Wedding vid folk who NEVER sell anything and just grant rights for a limited period, to shoot and sell the entire lot.

I always ask myself the same question. Do I want the footage? Can I sell it again in the future? Charge them what it's worth and give it to them, along with the rights. You could transfer the rights to them and you keep permission to use it - whatever you think most appropriate.

Let's say they paid you £500 to shoot the material. why not just give it to them? That's what they do in broadcast - I get sent to places, shoot whatever they want and hand over the memory card and submit the invoice. One of my colleagues do packages where they shoot from vintage aircraft, and then drop the material into templates. They buy the package - he never hands these clients raw footage - that isn't the product. However, he also accepts shooting commissions where he does supply the footage. In his case, the pre-packaged stuff will never, ever be used again. Loads of identical shots featuring different people in the same seat - but that isn't the point. You seem to have a hangup or need to 'keep' material. Why? I have an entire archive of material going back years that I've sold on, so while I have the tapes and cards, the content belongs to someone else. I've been paid for it, and it's gone, and although some is interesting, I'll never need it. If they want it colour corrected - great, that's more time, so more money. Me personally - I'd agree a price, edit it and move on happy.

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

For me it's a distinction between licensing an artistic piece that I've created and a bit of work that I've done for a client. In the latter instance, I consider the footage that I've shot for the client to be his. If he wants me to edit it I will, otherwise I'm happy to give the raw footage to the client.

My thinking is this: I have a camera; you hire it, along with me as the operator, for a certain period of time. You pay me for the use of the camera and my services. I give you the output from the camera and we all go to the pub to celebrate. To that end, I charge for the shoot and charge for editing separately.

If you want to use an artistic piece I've created for myself, however, we then get into licensing agreements, royalties, etc.