Liability in copyright infringement

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

A film I edited and did camerawork on is now the subject of a copyright infringement case. I am not the author or owner of the copyright of the new work, I was just paid a fee to do the edit and camera. I have been named as an infringer on the suit, is this right?

Participant

I'm not a lawyer, but I've been involved in something similar, so here's my thoughts, whatever they're worth …

No, it's not right, but it's the way of the world. You need to retain counsel, only because you'll be held responsible if you don't respond. With a competent lawyer, you'll be taken off of the suit, but you'll have to pay the lawyer, and you'll have no recourse to recover the fees. Non-response guarantees that you'll be held accountable if the case holds up in court.

Participant

I agree, it may be catastrophic if you don't respond to the summons.  I recommend visiting http://www.nolo.com/ for information.  It has a lawyer directory, as well as tons of literature and free advice.

One of the most important things to do is MAKE SURE TO REQUEST LEGAL FEES AND COURT COSTS, TO THE JUDGE, FROM THE PLAINTIFF!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap