Legal

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am new to this forum so I appologize in advance if this was already asked in a prior post.

Do you have to have the venue (church, reception location, etc.) sign any legal forms protecting you?

Also, what about the DJ or band?  Should I have them sign anything?

Participant

Depends. It's always good to get and some Government building/grounds do require a permit to shoot at all. If your doing a job for the location such as a church, it's not realy needed but if you plan on using the footage elswhere I would get a release signed.

It is the best practice to get any talent to sign a waver, band or not. Music is another story and I would do everything you can think of to cover your rear for the music used in the video. I've done a few music videos  but I haven't delt with a DJ in a while. Wedding guys would be a good source for info on dealing with DJ's.

Thanks for your reply.  I was under the impression that a release was not needed at a church.  I was more curious about the venue where the reception is being held.  For instance if it was a party hall, do I have to have them sign a release or could I go without it.  

As far as the music, I do not plan on using any "live recorded" music.  I plan to use sites such as songfreedom and musicbed to purchase the rights to songs and use those.  I was concerned that if I happen to film the DJ or Band if there was any legal issues there (anymore than there would be with filming guests).

Participant

Most churches don't have a concern about the building being in a video however, there are some that do. If your name isn't on the property deed, I would ask. Since your doing a wedding video I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue for the church or the hall. If this were some project you would be putting into distribution it could be very different.

Like I said I don't deal with DJ's much but I have had band managers raise a fuss. I always have a generic talent wavier on me just in case. You didn't specify in your first post that this was a wedding video but I don't think you'll have much issue there. It can pop up in weddings though when you get high profile people involved.

Great, thank you for your reply.  I appreciate all your input.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap