LED v Fluorescent or Blend for Studio?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I'm a teacher building a high school TV studio. Roughly 32'X20'. Two sets. News and Interview. I've got roughly $75K to spend on lighting gear and install.  What's my best bet…LED, Fluorescent, or a blend of the two?

Participant

Wow!  Congratulations on having a very, very nice budget for lighting.  I generally prefer florecent lights but I would probably go with LEDs given the lower cost of maintenance and greater durability.  

Participant

LED, and def don't mix. So many decent products there now – just don't forget that if you need true hard sources, LED can be VERY expensive – for floods and softs they are much more modestly priced – but a a Fresnel or profile (ellipsoidal) replacement is not cheap at all!

Participant

We regularly mix LED and Kinos and while the characteristics of the two styles are different, I find they can work together quite nicely.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap