Lav Mic w/ standalone Digital Recorder

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Lav Mic w/ standalone Digital Recorder

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ihlal
      Participant

Hi, this is my first post. I recently started a YouTube channel, and realized that iPhone audio isn't exactly the best. The videos we take are of social expirements. We go up to people at random, and do a random awkward thing. This is where I am having trouble. I can't have a boom mic hanging over the 'unsuspecting person' for obvious reasons. So I am left with either a wireless or wired lav mic. I have heard of people plugging lav mics into standalone sound recorders and getting good results, but was unsure of two thing: will it pick up a second subject who is about 3 feet (at max) away from the mic, ad what combination of sound recorder with mic would work best. Of course I in the edifying process would line up the audio and video. 

brunerww

Hi lhlal – welcome to the Videomaker forum! I recommend a $142 Sony ECM-AW3 Bluetooth wireless mic/receiver set.  If concealed properly, it should do the job.

Here is a demonstration of what it can do:

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

gldnears

Usually, when hanging a lav on a subject the objective is to get the mic as close as practical to the mouth of the subject. In your case, you'd do well to place the mic closer to your waist so that there isn't such a drastic volume difference between you and the person you're shooting.

Rick Crampton

Ihlal
      Participant

Thankyou all very much for the recommendations. I think I will probably go with the Sony ECM. I looked into it a bit more and for its price, it beats out the other competition I have seen. Thanks once again.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Sound’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.