Laptop vs. Desktop footage cutting…

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Laptop vs. Desktop footage cutting…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hope this is the rect section to post in, if not then sorry I'm new haha… I've been into the video making hobby for several years now. All of my work has been with GoPros because they were the best camera to use in the situation. I haven't done much filming in a while but I want to back into it, and some of it might require some traveling. I'd like to get a laptop so that while on the long drives home (with someone else at the wheel) I can be using Quicktime or a similar program to gather all of the GoPro footage I want to use and cut it down to size so that's that much less I'd have to do at home. I'm on a Lenovo with Windows 8, Intel i5,  GeForce GT 630 graphics card, pretty nice computer and it does the job for my editing so far. If I bought a laptop to cut my work down and then transferred those file to the Lenovo desktop, would the videos come out a lesser quality because the laptop didn't have a good enough graphics card? Or does the graphics card only really counthen rendering the videos from the bigger software? Am I making sense? Thanks!

Participant

You should be able to edit on your laptop.  Most of my editing is done on one (my desktop is rather loud). 

It may take a bit longer and you might have overheating problems.  If I export large (45 minutes or bigger) files, I may have to turn on a floor fan and direct it on the laptop.

I recommend trying it out with previous footage before you rely on it.  Good luck!!

I edit my projects on my laptop then use my desktop to transcode/render the files once a project is done. Just need the same editing program on both machines and a portable drive or drive caddy.

Cheers

P.S. Your hardware in most cases should not affect the quality of your video one way or the other, it will affect how well it plays back natively AKA uncompressed (while you edit the video prior to rendering) low end hardware can cause choppiness when editing. It also affects the speed at which video is processed for example a high end computer might take 1 hour to render a file while a low end computer might take 3 to render the same file. 

Participant

I almost got a laptop to do all of my editing on but people said it'd be better to go with a desktop cuz they can handle more… I would think that as long as my laptop could handle the fps of the video and keep it at that and keep the resolution etc and if I could find the right format that wouldn't compress it I'd be ok. ?? Literally all I'd do with QT on the laptop is select, delete, save. Then those small files go onto the desktop…

With a laptop or any portable for that matter, you are sacrificing power for portability. You will always get a better deal performance to price out of a desktop versus a laptop. Yes a high end laptop that cost a couple grand can do just about anything a mid range desktop can do. The most important thing is will this laptop add to your tools? or extend your ability? I use my laptop(s) to showcase what I'm working on, review footage I have just shot, mobile editing such as at the coffee shop or on a trip, show potential clients past work. The list of benefits goes on, but the point is a laptop is another weapon in my arsenal. I couldn't justify the cost of owning one if I couldn't prove to myself it would improve my ability to make money. Anyways I'm not trying to discourage you from buying one, but take a reality check once the shiny new toy syndrome wears off you are left with a very expensive piece of plastic that you will either love to death or loath and wish you had spent your money elsewhere. 

Tip: ask a friend or check with your local library / technical college to see if you can borrow a laptop test it out to see how you like it and that should give you an idea of how it will be.

Participant

Thanks man. I knew I'd never get an desktop-equivalent laptop without spending a ridiculous amount of cash. I honestly didn't think I'd get the footage to come out like I wanted it to. I even asked a guy at work today who a computer techy and he said basically the same thing, lot of money to get a laptop capable of what a desktop can do, so for me I don't think it'll be worth it. I miiight try it and see how it comes out but I would not be putting much money into the laptop at all. If I get one and don't like how the footage comes out that is a tool for showing others what I've done with videos; that's a really good idea. Plus it's something to play my little games on. lol! Thanks!

Participant

You might be able to upgrade some components if necessary. I upgraded from 8gb RAM to 32gb on my laptop, plus installed a second 1TB hard drive. Additionally, I use a 1TB and a 2TB external drive for backup, and I'd definitely recommend that at least. That way, if the power drops out on your laptop and you've just made an edit and already deleted the original clip, you still have the footage.

In case you can't tell, I'm big on backups and duplication, from running extra mics to a second and sometimes third cam (a full-size ENG cam, a DSLR, and my iPhone). I've learned the hard way, unfortunately.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap