Juddering on Canon 60D

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi there. Has anyone here encountered any issues when panning using a canon 60D? Whenever I pan there's a really nasty 'juddering' of the image that makes the shots practically unusable. Some have told me there's nothing wrong but in my eyes this just isn't acceptable…

http://youtu.be/2xfb-q2L2hI

I'm shooting at 25fps and 1/50th shutter speed there, so it's definitely not a result of having the shutter speed to high. But the issue remains at any setting really, unless I use 60fps at 720p in which case it's silky smooth.

any ideas? thanks

Participant

You mention that you were using 25fps @1/50th shutter, but did not mention if it's progressive or interlaced and HD or not (although YouTube seems to allow setting of 1080p for your video clip..  Interestingly you say that your 60fps@720p you get no juddering, when usually it is at the higher frame rate and progressive that juddering issues occur, for what I have seen. I am not sure YouTube is a good way to troubleshoot because of the variouis settings and the way it converts things when uploaded. I have also noticed that juddering depends on what you play back the video on, meaning computer screen and which media player.  Some players are notorious in causing spastic playback results.

Participant

It's progressive and full HD yep. And yeh I know what you mean about Youtube altering videos, but they seem to look identical to the raw files when I play them back myself…I think you might be right though about the files just not getting on with my PC and software, cos I've sent an experienced professional the files and he said they look normal to him. And also: It's actually not the first time I've noticed this juddering while playing HD video. I have the same issue when playing blu rays…

Participant

If you are having issues with BluRay also, that sort of points the way to your video card and RAM, not necessarily the main RAM but the RAM on the video card itself. Perhaps it's not able to refresh fast enough to do progressive 1920×1080 image from the camera. I had the same issues though with using Windows Media Player, and yet in Power DVD it plays the video just fine. M2TS files are especially prone to juddering if played back with lousy codecs.

I just re-viewed your file directly on the YouTube site, and in addition to juddering you also have blurring during that pan due to 'movie' frame rates, adding to the annoying. πŸ™‚

Participant

Having done a lot more watching of other people's 60D footage, I'm almost certain now that my camera footage is no different to theirs whatsoever. They all judder in exactly the same way. And actually I'm also noticing now that pretty much any HD video I play on this computer judders too so it's all about playback, and just the general issue of panning when shooting on 24/25p. Thanks for your help Zoltan

Participant

Its just the nature of DSLR's when filming video.  They really are not designed to do serious filming. They are great if you are using a tripod and not panning or moving.  If you are going to do a lot of video, get a real video camera. Otherwise you are just going to have to accept this issue.

Participant

Yes DSLR's might have more issues than camcorders, but today with most HD they use CMOS sensors vs CCD (or even 3CCD) and the rolling shutter, which adds all sorts of unwanted side effects, namely the jello effect, and unless they are moved very slowly on a tripod, any unwanted hand movement to and fro and especially in a panning action will create a seasickly effect. Handling the large sensor pixels does not help matters either.
       In addition most DSLR's have sensor image stabilization vs. dynamic lens image stabilization, which in my opinion will not yield as good of a result, and at 1080p resolutions there is always some image jiggle upon close examination of each frame, which causes slight blurring of the image. This is not really related to judder, but it's just another anomoly to make video work more critical and harder than it used to be recording 720×480 SD.

Participant

OK, more useful info, thanks! I think I'm going to downgrade to a 600D. I'll be willing to accept the issue providing it doesn't break the bank, which the 60D does for me really. The 600D, from what I've heard, has video which is almost identical to the 60D anyway.

Participant

Here is a screwball review of 60D vs. 600D ..   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na7h-K0DK60

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap