is this a good deal? equipment wise

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Luke
      Participant

My small Cannon HF200 is nice, but I'm struggling with the audio during interviews.  It has the small 3.5 audio jack.  I have a wired mic, but I don't really like that look.  I purchased a sony wireless lapel, but it is erratic and not consistent.

I found someone selling the following and wanted to know if you thought it was a good deal.

Canon XL2

Canon GL2

Tripods

12' pro am boom Jib arm crane dollies

All for $2,500.00

Note: I don't think I need all this equipment though…

Thanks,

blit
      Participant

A good deal is a good deal for you.

Your issue seems to be you don't like the wire into your 3.5mm stereo unbalanced Audio IN on your Canon HF200.  You tried one wireless solution and it didn't work out.

The used equipment is standard definition while your HF200 is high definition.  No mention of number of hours on the used equipment.  These are DV codec and tape based. The used cameras are nice cameras but the picture quality is exceeded by many high def cameras for less than $2500 in my opinion.  What will you do with a crane.

How will any of the used equipment solve your sound issue.  Unfortunately most cameras are like used computers the depreciate very steeply because new stuff is better, not just newer.

I would reccomend starting with a budget and what you want to shoot in the near future and then carefully researching what you need for equipment.

Keep in mind that just about everything except the camera is a better investment.  A quality microphone bought 10 years ago is still very useful.  A camera from ten years ago might not be so useful depending on what you want to do.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618743-REG/Sennheiser_EW_122P_G3_A_EW122_p_G3_Camera_Mount.html

The Sennheiser  G3 is the goto wireless if price is a concern.  It will plug right into your HF200.

Good luck and best regards

Luke
      Participant

thank you

JKnight

this is my solution, instead of using lavs, or wireless, I simply use a good shotgun with a good directional pick up pattern and a Boom and arm, this way i get good quality sound everywhere, with no noise, and there is not cords on the person to hide.

as for a camera, i would look at a sony nex vg20 the preamps in this camera can be controlled, one problem you will encounter is when converting a balanced (XLR) signal to an unbalanced (3.5) the preamps will jack the signal around. the vg20 has good audio controls so that the signal doesn't get jacked around producing louder noise

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN