Is there a 30 Second Music Rule?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

Most music sites will let you preview 30 seconds of a song for free. (for example: http://www.allmusic.com/album/trouble-in-mind-doc-watson-country-blues-collection-mw0000594348)

If I am producing a documentary on Doc Watson, for example, can I play 30 second clips of some of his different songs in my production without anybody's permission?

Or is this foolish thinking on my part and I have to have permission (and I don't even know where to start or who to ask for that), whether I use 1 second or 30 seconds of any of his songs.

Any guidance would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks!

Participant

The 30 seconds isn't a standard, it's just the length of time the copyright holder feel is acceptable for a sample listen – and it's just for a listen, to evaluate it's suitabilty. There is no attached right to use it in any way at all. If you wish to use ten seconds worth of a copyright work, you need to get it cleared. The famous example is Fleetwood Mac's intro to the Chain – the motor racing theme. Nobody ever plays the rest of the song, but you cannot use that bass guitar riff without paying.

If you are making a documentary on somebody, it seems risky to pinch material from the subject!

If you google PRS and PPL, these will be able to clear whatever clips you select – cost depends on distribution and quantity.

• Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
    homicide-bootstrap