Is slow motion abused to much ?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

On vlogs I’m subscribed to as well as Instagram content creators who how have very similar styles I almost noticed they will always use slo motion. Now I’m not saying that slow motion isn’t cool but I’m just seeing a lack of anything else.

Participant

Slow motion can be “cool” as you put it. But for me the real test of slo-mo or any other special effect is what it contributes to the story telling or other content. All too often slo-mo is used gratuitously, in many instances detracting from the story. Why slo-mo in the middle of a car chase, for instance or when a character jumps from one building to another?

Historically, the dissolve was used in film to indicate a change of place or time. Even today it is quite rare to find a dissolve in a feature film. It does little for story telling so it’s not used. In one of Scorsese’s early films, editor Thelma Schoonmaker dissolved from a closeup of a cigar in a character’s hand to a closeup of his face. Film fans across the continent were perplexed by this. Why was it done? In the interests of story telling: it was vital to show the cigar (CU) and equally vital to show the face (CU.) Cutting from CU to CU looked bad, so dissolve to soften the impact. Television today does the same thing, especially with singers. It’s difficult to cut from a closeup on camera one to a closeup from a slightly different angle on camera two, so dissolve to soften the switch. Both of these examples justify the use of an effect where it would not normally be called for. It’s often very difficult to justify slow motion, however.

Many years ago one of the early NLE programs had a transition effect of sheep falling slowly from the sky. Cool, but mindless and ultimately pretty tacky. All too often slow motion is used the same way: I can do it, so I will. But it has little connection to content — little more than a variation on falling sheep in many cases.

palladini971palladini971
      Participant

I agree, slow mo has places it can be used and places it should never be used, and some people just do not know the difference.

Well I guess your speaking from a film perspective I was more leaning towards YouTube vlog edits and channels that use it to seem more cinamatic.

Participant

Actually I’m speaking from the perspective of good editing and storytelling practice. Using an effect because you can is like pouring a quarter inch of salt all over a $30 steak because the salt shaker is on the table in front of you.

Why should the structure of a vlog be different from the structure of any other visual storytelling medium?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap