Is it possible to repair a video camera that suffered a voltage overload?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Consumer Camcorders Is it possible to repair a video camera that suffered a voltage overload?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hello, I’m from Argentina. My English is not so good, but I’ll try to write the best I can. I have (or I had) a video camera Panasonic HC-MDH2. Someone has stolen me the original AC/DC adapter that comes with the camera. In my country is really difficult (or directly impossible) to buy accesories, because Panasonic Shop doesn’t sell them. I was searching in different online shops from here, but I didn’t find it. I asked for help in Panasonic Customer Support from USA, but they couldn’t help me because they don’t sell this model in that country. Then I decided to buy a generic one. I have purchased an AC/DC adaptor with output voltage selector (different points from 1.5 V to 12 V). The camera uses 9.3 V. I have connected the adapter to the camera, but nothing happened. The charge led (included on the camera) never turned on. And the whole camera never turned on any more. Then I checked the adapter. It is failed. The output voltage selector says 9 V, but with a voltimeter I have checked it, and the real output is 18 V. Obviously, the camera suffered a voltage overload. Before visiting the technical service, I’d like to ask you your opinions. Could it exist a possible solution?. Thank you very much.

Participant

I guess in the future you will test the power supply first, yes?

Most likely, there is a small fuse that has opened, but is not owner serviceable. There are service manuals that can be located using Google, but many are malware sites. Try buying a service manual from someone on eBay. You will need a Paypal account, but if the sale goes bad, PayPal will refund your money.

Good luck.

It is certainly possible, though if you have little to no experience soldering or repairing small electronics, I would probably recommend getting service done through official channels. And as Ed mentioned, you’d need a service manual to even attempt repair.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best micro four thirds lenses — 2021

MFT, or micro four thirds, is a popular mount style used by many manufacturers in conjunction with the micro 4/3 sensor. It’s good to keep in mind that micro four thirds camera systems use a smaller sensor.
homicide-bootstrap