Input needed for sports shooting

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      virtualx

Afternoon all,

Just signed up and admittedly a newbie when it comes to all things videography. I started shooting because my boys play football (soccer) and wanted me to film their games. I have a cheap, basic set up: a Canon Vixia HFR500 and a fluid-effect head/tripod. I’m really trying to get a better fluid head so that I can reduce jitter and be able to move smoothly yet quickly as I film. I’d appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer as far as tripod head and tripod itself to purchase. I’m trying to stay under $200 for each piece, which is a challenge. I’ve looked at several Manfrotto heads and a Varavon head that got good reviews.

Thanks ahead for expert advice!

–virtualx

Joseph
      Participant

I usually tell people to buy the best tripod you can afford – especially if they intend to make money with it over time. A good video tripod will last you forever (almost.) I have a Manfrotto two stage tripod with a Bogens 501 head and I’ve been using it for the last 16 years. It’s seen 5 different cameras and will long outlive my current camera.

That being said, for what you’re describing I would suggest something in the $150 range.

Check out B&H tripods under their video support section (stay away from photography specific tripods.) They have great write-ups on each product and a load of reviews.

The Magnus VT-4000 would do the job you want at a fair price. The Davis & Sanford ProVista 7518 would also do well for you.

For about twice that, the Manfrotto MVH500A Fluid Drag Video Head with MVT502AM Tripod and Carry Bag is something to consider. But honestly, unless you plan on using a tripod professionally there is truly no need to spend any more than this.

Whatever your choose, just make sure you get a fluid head to get the smoothest pan and tilt and mid-level spreaders to make it easier to set up on bleachers/un-level surfaces.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN