Import issues with the JVC GY-HM100U mp4 files.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Open Forum Import issues with the JVC GY-HM100U mp4 files.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I recently shot video on the JVC GY-HM100U.  The native files will not open in Premiere Pro CS3, neither the .mov or the mp4.  I realise the .mov files will open on my Mac Pro in FCP but that is in for repairs at the moment and I am trying to edit on a PC with Premiere Pro.  When trying to open the files or import into Premiere Pro I get a generic error message.  What codecs or up-dates do I need to fix this problem in Premiere Pro…??  Will JVC ProHD Clip Manager convert these files to something that will work in Premiere Pro..???  

Participant

I have no idea if CS3 will import MXF files but if it will, give the following free utility a try.

http://convergent-design.com/Downloads.aspx#nanoFlash-7

Good luck.

Mike

Participant

why would JVC make such a crap device that creates files that are not recognised by most editing software???

Participant

Before you go blaming JVC, have these files ever worked for you before?

I use a JVC HM-750 (big brother to your model) and I have no problems importing mp4 files into Sony Vegas Pro.

I have friends who have the JVC 100 and 200 series cameras and they have no problems importing the files (mov and mp4) into Final Cut Pro.

My suggestion is to get onto a Premiere Pro forum or a JVC forum (try the one at http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/) and see if someone there can help you.

Mike

Participant

Thanks Mike

I don't know about you but sometimes you need to be a little radical before you can get a comment back that is helpful…  

I would use my Mac Pro and FCP but it is in for rapairs and updates at the moment so I have to deal with this probelm as best I can and try to find answers quickly as possible…  

I did find a file converter called Prism Video Converter Plus…  

Thanks for your feedback…

David

Participant

David, I always operate under the principle that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar πŸ™‚

I'm still puzzled as to why your files won't open up in CS3 but I've never used it so I can't comment.

Good luck with the file converter as my experience with most of them is that they degrade the original file quality.

Definitely convert to a format that will retain as much quality as possible.

Good luck with it.

Mike

Participant

Ya ok…  but we are talking multi media and computers not flies and honey…  

Guess I spoke a little prematurely here…  the Prism Video  Converter did not convert files that I could use and neither does GoPro…

Still at a loss…..

Can't use the mp4 files that the JVC creates in Premeire Pro..

Who has an answer?????

Actually, it’s not so hard to get the clues. The basic reason is that MOV container files can contain data encoded using various compression and encoding schemes. Premiere Pro can import the MOV container files, but the ability to import the data that they contain is dependent on the codecs (specifically, decoders) installed. Therefore, the quick solution is to convert your QuickTime MOV video files with the proper codec before playing it with Adobe Premiere.

http://tips-on-avchd-video-issues.over-blog.com/2015/10/edit-mov-videos-in-premiere-without-issue.html

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video β€” 2020

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration,...
homicide-bootstrap