Imac vs Mac Pro?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hi I have a Red Scarlet and am in need of a new computer for editing 4k footage. I have mostly been looking between a more or less maxed out Imac 5k vs. a lower end Mac Pro with an upgraded graphics card. The specs are at the bottom if that helps. My question is is there a big enough difference between the quality of the Mac Pro over the Imac to be worth the extra money? Will I actually see much of a difference performance wise if I am editing big projects around an hour long with effects? Lastly, are there any recommended PC options that might be comparable and perhaps cheaper? Thanks for any help you can give, here are the specs:

• Mac Pro:
      • 3.7GHz quad-core with 10MB of L3 cache
      • 16GB (4x4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
      • 256GB PCIe-based flash storage
      • Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

• Imac
      • 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz
      • 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM – 4x8GB
      • 1TB Fusion Drive
      • AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5

Participant

For speed, another top upgrade is to store “raw” video files on a second storage device, other than where the operating system and applications reside.

You might consider the simple option of an additional internal 7200 or 10K RPM HDD, or maybe something like an external, two disk RAID 0 attached via USB 3 (economy choice) or Thunderbolt 2 (faster & $$$).

I play with video projects that are small, esoteric, and usually shot at 720/24p. I’m using FCPX on my Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz quad i7, 16GB RAM, external USB 3 dual SSD RAID 0, 27″ Samsung HDMI 1080 TV/monitor. The system is adequate for me, but I have an extra 22″ LED monitor I’m not using, and I plan to bump up to dual monitors soon to see if extra screen space is a good upgrade for editing.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap