I’m starting my journey as a video editor. What’s a good start?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion I’m starting my journey as a video editor. What’s a good start?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hi guys,

I’m currently working in advertising (London) doing things that I don’t like. So I’ve decided to learn video editing, build a portfolio, a network and go from there.

Also, one of my professor at university – now almost ex-professor, since we’ve basically finished – worked for Stanley Kubrick for years and he told me that I should focus on this, so I’ll take it as a sign of destiny. 🙂

This has always been one of my biggest passion and I want to make it work. Any suggestions on how to start? Which software is it better to learn, where to find footages to use and so forth?

I’ve just installed Avid and Adobe Premiere Pro, because it seems like most people use this in agencies/production companies. I’d like to learn all the important theory first (formats etc) and then dive in with the software. What’s a good start?

Thank you so much!

Participant

I think of editing as having two aspects: the software and the storytelling. Learning the software is relatively easy: Avid, Adobe Premier, Final Cut Pro and increasingly Resolve have become standards (of sorts) and unquestionably being able to walk into a studio with competence in using these tools would be a plus.

More importantly, perhaps, is having a solid understanding of how to tell a story, how to select and assemble footage for the greatest impact. For this I recommend a study — not just a cursory glance at but a thoughtful study — of the work of editors such as Walter Murch and Thelma Schoonmaker, and of film makers such as Michael Powell, Akira Kurosawa and Yasujiro Ozu in Japan, Federico Fellini, Luis Buneul, Martin Scorsese and Stanley Kubrick.

To begin to understand the choices made in the works of these filmmakers is to begin the journey toward becoming an artist who works with pictures that move

stellarvideosstellarvideos
        Participant

It’s perfect that you are interested in video editing.
        To begin your learning journey, you must first make sure to choose the proper guidance.
        Then I think you should initial start it with Windows Movie Maker and after that works to any other software. I’ll advise you some best software for video editing:—

. Adobe premiere pro
        . Pinnacle studios
        . Light worksFinal cut pro
        . Sony Vegas movie studio
        . Cinelerra
        . Corel video studio

Thank you so much for your beautiful comment, Jack.

My goal now is to make at least 3 pieces of work (2-3mn each) so that I can show them on my portfolio and then try to find agencies/production companies or clients to start working my way up. What do you think?

Participant

Sounds like a fine plan. Best of luck.

Participant

I’m a little more wary than Jack. Alarm bells are ringing (said after many years of teaching in colleges). I’m to a degree playing devil’s advocate – but it may make you think, and tell me I’m wrong – it is NOT meant as criticism.
      So I’ve decided to learn video editing, build a portfolio, a network and go from there.

Why? Is there a need, and a proper business model that indicates you can make a living editing? I’d suggest that the network is the primary feature – people want YOU, so you learn and deliver. Not learn (perhaps badly) and then cannot find clients.
      Also, one of my professor at university – now almost ex-professor, since we’ve basically finished – worked for Stanley Kubrick for years and he told me that I should focus on this, so I’ll take it as a sign of destiny. 🙂

Stamley Kubrick was a story teller – he employed editors. What attributes is he seeing in you that suggest you will be good at editing?

This has always been one of my biggest passion and I want to make it work. Any suggestions on how to start? Which software is it better to learn, where to find footages to use and so forth?

No it hasn’t – if it was a passion, you would have been doing this for a long time. Passions develop over years, and don’t suddenly appear. They are fads, not passions. You have already bought the software, so this question is a bit pointless. Where to find footage? Buy a camera! Steal it off youtube? grab stuff from DVDs – the passion is a bit dilute here if you don’t actually have any footage? None of the software is better to learn – they are all different. I have been almost exclusively using Adobe products for years – they are NOT easy to learn, because they are powerful. The kids at school with a passion have been using free editors or ones provided my windows/apple for years, before moving on.
      I’ve just installed Avid and Adobe Premiere Pro, because it seems like most people use this in agencies/production companies. I’d like to learn all the important theory first (formats etc) and then dive in with the software. What’s a good start?

Your passion hasn’t led to any research or knowledge building then? Do NOT try to learn two different applications – that is plain suicide, you will confuse yourself.

You haven’t done any research into editing at all, seem to have never edited anything, and have no preferred area of interest – so why do you think you could be a good editor if you’ve no knowledge, no experience and no idea what it’s all about. This really is not passion. People who have passion are doing it, experimenting with it, and pushing the boundaries of their available funds. Do you have a suitable computer, with the right facilities, and a BIG budget. Adobe subscriptions are expensive – so why did you take one out before you had to? Last week – my expensive edit suite earned me zero! One quick job came in that is tied up with shooting not completed yet – so I worked for free, until more work appears. Editing for an income is also very boring. You take on work with no interest in the content. Many people shoot AND edit, which is better for me – others just edit whatever turns up. Clients are also very green on editing and do not understand why three minute programme might take a week to produce, with the week’s price ticket.

I am not having a pop – I am trying too shake you back to reality. Look at my comments and tell me how wrong I am – justify your decisions to yourself. Why did you install Avid? I actually have it on this mac – never used it once. This passion – try to quantify it. Casual interest, career aspiration, genuine need, true passion? You don’t need to post it – but you MUST think. The people I have known at college who really had passion, used college as a vehicle to get access to better equipment, new ideas, business advice etc – they do not expect the course to teach them anything – every unit we did they were already half way through, just cherry picking the new stuff. That’s passion. The ones who said they had passion before they started, rarely stuck it through to the end once they discovered reality.

Editing, for me is necessary, dull and terribly boring. I am adequate but not exceptional, I get bored easily and I have no passion whatsoever. It’s part of my job. Today I have to add scientific captions to a section of an edit on industrial chemical treatment of fabrics – want to swap? Can you get excited by the thermal decomposition of sodium hydrogen carbonate. Stanley Kubrick it is NOT!

Participant

Course not. My point is that you cannot have a passion and not have done it. I commend you for giving it a try, that’s good – but it isn’t a passion, it’s just interest. You did the movie and it went wrong, so why didn’t you find a solution, or simply moved on to movie 2?

Until you have tried editing, how do you know you have it? I have Premiere, and have edited with it since around 1996. I still don’t ever call myself an editor – I do it because it pays the bills!

My music, video sound and lighting business is doing OK, and my Son tried it for a while and was very good at it – ending up running 3D huge screen projects with projectors valued at over a million quid – however, he now sells cars because the pay is regular and he’s better off. Nowhere near as fun, but try getting a mortgage with a self-employed label.

So I am not saying don’t do it, in fact I urge you to give it a go – but your list of things you have tried is pretty big, so it suggests you rush in and get put off easily.

Reputation is everything. You want to get known as the person who is reliable and gets’ things done.

Participant

I’m not a professional, but I edit videos from time to time. Usually I use Bolide Movie Creator (http://movie-creator.com) as it is easy to work with it and you can add photos and audio tracks. Also this editor is optimized for multi-core rendering. Perhaps it will help you to improve your skills. Good luck!

loraflipoloraflipo
      Participant

I’m also staring my journey as a mobile video editing expert. Cause, I have no money to buy a computer, but I have a android phone. That’s why, I choose the kinemaster app for editing videos like a pro.

Pray for me…

Participant

ALL my career decisions were made because I had a talent and the knowledge. I never made one decision that would have made me start to follow a new course.

Since your first post a month ago. What have you produced? Let’s have a look at your progress. What subjects did you try? Narrative or even just an advert for a product using your existing knowledge. This passion, bottled up – you’ve had a month to try stuff. Plenty of chance to get something installed, even a freebie one. So what have you produced? What is causing difficulty? What did you find easy? How did you get on with the formats, the workflow, the speed and hiccups in the workflow that made you want to review how you did it? Did youtube tutorials help or hinder?

Should you give up? If you have done nothing in a month and gained no new knowledge or techniques, then yes – give up, you’re just dreaming about something with no real interest. If you’ve started three or four projects and finished one, struggling, then yes – carry on and don’t give up. In the past month apart from the normal paying jobs I’ve done three free/cheap ones, two of which have spawned a full priced one in the diary. I wanted to try something out, spotted something in the local paper, went to see them offered my services and they said yes. You’ve done similar?

jenniferkrausejenniferkrause
      Participant

Try different fields while you’re young,finally you’ll be professional in one field only. It’s perfect that you are interested in video editing. VIDEO EDITING GUIDELINES hope that help.

@paulears:

thanks for your reply.

[quote]Why? Is there a need, and a proper business model that indicates you can make a living editing? I’d suggest that the network is the primary feature – people want YOU, so you learn and deliver. Not learn (perhaps badly) and then cannot find clients.[/quote]

How can people want me if they don’t know what I can do? I feel like I’ve to learn first and then find clients. Now… is there a business model? I don’t know. It seems like there’s a market. Am I wrong?

[quote]Stanley Kubrick was a story teller – he employed editors. What attributes is he seeing in you that suggest you will be good at editing?[/quote]

One day it was just me and him and we were talking about Stanley. Well, HE was talking about Stanley and I was listening and making questions. At a certain point he was shocked that I looked way more passionate about cinema than not advertising. He didn’t see that passion in me during the 3 years we were doing the Advertising course, so he told me why I wasn’t working in the film industry.

Stanley was also an editor, other than a director, screenwriter and photographer.

Anyway, what would you suggest me? I’ve tried many different things over the years: I did photography, I’ve tried to write screenplays, I’ve directed a short movie (never finished because they closed the location we found in the middle of the filming), I’ve tried to work in advertising (which I don’t think I like very much). Now I’m trying video editing. I can’t tell you if editing is my passion, but I’m giving it a try… because I’m trying to find my way somehow.

Should I just give up on everything?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap