Ideas for martial arts instructional video

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi I have been dabbling in my own freelance video for about six years now and have recently made the switch to setting up a DBA and making this business my primary income.I come from a broadcast journalism background and formerly worked as a news photographer and editor at our local NBC syndicate. I have a panasonic AG-DVC7 and a Cannon HD Vixia.I edit with the Adobe CS 4 suite. My client is a sensei of a small Aikido studio (thus is a form of defensive only martial art) He wants an instructional video for students and prospective students. Aside from a set of three basic exercises  I have shot and had him  do voice over explanations for, I am kind of stuck as to what else to include. Has anyone else done any similar work or have any ideas for me?

Participant

What is your client's vision of the end product?

Participant

He is very open ended on the end product, which is why I am having difficulties as I am not very familiar with Aikido myself.  We have shot the basic movements which all the exercises are based off of, about three 5 minute segments. I may have the sensei do a short monologue before each, givingg an introduction. It is to be used as a training tool for students. Most of the class time is informal with a lot of peer discussion. I have shot two full classes to see what I could pull from it. There is a lot of focus and discussion on the philosophy and a lot of partner work. I would like to pull a few of these shorter lecture tidbits out for use as a promo of some kind. Because the art is based on the randomness of attack, specific "drills" aren't done, instead focus is placed on the ability ot react. We have also talked about building a library of short clips for his website of specific movements.

Participant

The general public does not really understand the beauty of Aikido: re-direction (it is not flashy).  The most impressive demonstration I have seen of the essence of aikido involved a sensei of very small stature, fending off attackers from multiple directions.  There were no Hollywood effects, no slow motion camera work.  He was incredibly smooth and agile against men who were taller and heavier.  Before he got "Hollywoodized" Steven Seagal was the most accessible demonstrator of what is possible using Aikido.

Perhaps you could film closeups of the sensei's footwork, his posture, how he shifts his weight during the attack.  Perhaps focus on how he uses his hands: their speed and fluidity.

But mostly – he really needs to give you a better sense of what he expects to see in the final product. 

Participant

Thank you for the advice. I have seen the same video you discussed and was also impressed by the sensei. You are absolutely right about the undserstated beauty of Aikido. I did another shoot last night and got some of those closeups. I also had a good discussion with my client about what his endvision is. He wants to attract new students, but the "right" kind. He  also doesn't want the video to replace instruction but to supplement it. He doesn't want people coming in who expect flash and throwing people around, because that is not what he likes to teach although I have been told by several of his students that he is a master at the art qnd I would like to see it. However, his approach is more of a whole life balance approach. Much of his classes  involve a discussion amongst his students on philosophy of movement and of balance in life rather than traditional drills and sparring. I would like to include several things to help him achieve this goal. 1. candid clips on aikido philosphy between sensei and students 2. student testimonials on how aikido helps them achieve life blance, confidence and self esteem 3. some black belt on black belt sparring with sensei to demontrate proficiency of the instructor as well as what an end resullt can be 4 a few specific scenarios of how aikido can be used in self defense against an attacker for those seeking aikido for defense.

Participant

Sounds like you are on the correct path – I look forward to seeing the end product.

Participant

Wow!Many thanks.I found it pretty impressive!Will explore further.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap