Ideal computer system for video editing?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Ideal computer system for video editing?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello!

I'm currently trying to save for a computer system to fit my editing and video needs.  I'm asking for suggestions for computer PC systems that I should get and things I need.

I edit with Adobe Premiere Elements 9 and am wanting to upgrade to After Effects, Adobe Premiere Pro, etc.  All I know is I want Windows 8…but not computer techy so I don't know what would work best.

Ideas?  I also have a smallish budget.

Thanks!

You begin by looking on Adobe's website for their " minimum " requirements, and you expand from there. Faster CPU, more RAM, better graphics card, more and larger capacity work drives, expansion MB slots for such things as Firewire interconnect, etc. Ironically, as you save toward a good machine, the NLE software and hardware goalposts seem to move farther away.  You can buy a basic ( expandable ) machine and add on, or you can roll your own.

Participant

I know how daunting and exhausting it can be to find the right computer. I spent almost an entire week surfing the web, trying to find the right PC to serve my video editing and other video-related needs.

I am no major computer expert, but here are some things I’ve learned while searching for the right PC, from friends and colleagues, and from countless online resources.

The main things you need to look for are:

1) Processor type.

Ideally you should get an i7 processor, but i5 will do. However, keep in mind that unlike the RAM and hard drive, the processor cannot be upgraded.

2) RAM size. (Also referred to as “memory”.)

Minimum requirements are 8GB. This will determine the speed of your new PC, which is especially important when rendering video projects you create on Adobe (or any other video editing) software. You should get as much GB as your budget allows. Getting less than 8GB of RAM can result in a slow computer.

3) Graphics card.

According to what I know, NVIDIA graphics are the most ideal to suit the video your editing needs. You should get at least 1-1.5GB. Again, you should get as much GB as your budget allows.

4) Hard drive.

Most computers today (at 8GB RAM) come with at least 500GB of storage. I highly recommend that you get at least a 750GB – 1TB, as video files tend to get very large. You might also want to consider getting an external hard drive for additional storage space, or to back-up your work.

Other options you might consider are:

1) DVD or/and Blue-ray reader/writer.

You clients will probably request a copy of the work you did for them. Being prepared is the best way to go. You can also purchase an external DVD writer/creator (which connects to your computer via a USB cable) at a later time.

2) Bluetooth compatibility.

You might want to consider this relatively new way of connecting – or rather not connecting various devices to your PC, such as your keyboard, mouse, headphones or any other Bluetooth compatible device.

3) Touch (or non-touch) screen.

Windows 8 was designed for the touch screen. You might find it confusing (and/or annoying) to use the Windows 8 format with a non-touch screen. Just keep in mind that if you are on a budget, this might be a great way to save on an additional $100 or so.

Otherwise, as long as you know what brand (or brands) you’d like, know your needs, wants, and requirements – or even if you don’t, you can go to any computer company site and either call the provided number or make use of their live chat option.

If you’re not sure which brand you’d go for, or you’d like to see what different brands are offering without going through too much trouble, you can utilize computer or electronics superstore sites, such as http://www.bhphotovideo.com , or utilize their phone or live chat support options.

Happy hunting and good luck! πŸ™‚

If you want to know what I ended up getting, here it is at $999.99:

Dell XPS 8700 included is a 24" monitor (plus keyboard and mouse) even though it doesn't show on the actual site. Contact Dell support for more info.

Tech specs: 

-4th Gen Intel Core i7-4770 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)

-8GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz – 2 DIMMs

-NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB DDR3

-1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s

-Windows 8, 64-bit, English

-16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW), write to CD/DVD

-Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE

Check it out at:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?~ck=mn#overrides=fdcwgx312:5985~S2440LCC

Participant

First, my excuses for my English. I'm from Holland, but trying to improve. I'm in the same position as you are, but already searching for a longer period. My advice is: search for single components on the web and assemble the whole thing on your own. Youtube has some great vids for that. 

On the hardware: An intel i7 is highly recommended, because they have this feature called HyperThreading. It makes 4 cores look like 8, which results in faster rendertimes in theory. I also learned that a videocard isn't the most necessary of all, because rendering en editing will ask much power from your processor. 

At last, a SSD-drive is much better than 1 TB HDD. The ultimate is a combination of the two of course. 240 GB will do for you, if you only put your editing software + windows on it.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap