How to set up my lightning and camera and stuff?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello there! I want to create simple educational videos for YouTube so I guess PF25 (25fps) is the right choice? My camera shoots in 1080p.

I have the following production gear:

* 1  Canon LEGRIA HF G25 (filming in PF25 MPX or FPX)

* 2  Tristar Magic Square (with spiral lightbulb 85W 5600K in each)

* 1 ATR3350 lavalier (will probably get something else since it sounds so bad)

* 1 Tripod Star 62 (5,3 feet, using it on a chair for extra height)

* 1 Cheap 3x2m IKEA green fabric (using as greenscreen, have tested and work)

The challenge I have is my small apartment. My room is about 3.6m long, 4m width and almost 3m height. I have a small space and I need lightning for me (the talent) and the greenscreen.

Here are some pictures so you can see what I am dealing with and how I have it setup right now:

As you can see, I have confined space to work within but I will make it work! 🙂 I would like some ideas on how to get some proper lightning for the greenscreen since it is not enough with these two softboxes (getting shadows behind my back). I am also the case that I have pale skin so I might need to use some color correction in the final video to make me look more yellow (not like a tomato) so it looks "good on video" so to speak.

What are your ideas for setting up the light here, getting some light for the green screen and so forth? I will correct the green screen since I do see the bad folds! ;-P

Thanks in advance and for this highly specialized awesome video forum! ^^,

Take Care & Have An Awesome Day! / Max.

Participant

P.S: Copy&paste the picture links to see them in full size.

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

Participant

RockyRocky
      Participant

Lighting a small room, your problem areas appear to be the size of the room plus uneven light distribution causing hot spots on the green screen plus the creases in the green screen material won't help.

The solution here is to diffuse your light source, your options may include:- 

(1) lowering one light stand and pointng the light stright up to the roof, in other words bounce the light souce off the roof causing the light to be eveny distributed throughout the room, including onto the green screen from above. The second light can then be bounced off a wall onto the talent. Play with the angles of the bounce of both lights for best results  

(2) Alternatives to bouncing is to affixing a layer of tracing paper (or similar) across the face of the light box this will also achieve diffused light.   

In he majority of instances where intervews can only be conducted in very small rooms,  bouncing the light souce is a common practice.

The creases in the green screen are easily fixed with either weights, tape or clips   A quick glance at the specs on your lav mic indicate it should not be a problem 

Participant

Hello there Rocky M! Thank you very much for you reply.

I also envy the recording equipment you have! 😛

I posted this on another forum where someone pointed out that my camera shoots in a 4:2:0 color space(?) which means it won't work as well with green screens as a 4:2:2 would.

The reaons I wanted a green screen is so I could easily change backgrounds, because what I really want are simplistic, yet elegant backgrounds like gradients of grey and white and such.

However, I have no problems with going with just a plain white background or a greyish gardient background, as long as I can light it up (I am willing to invest in some cheap lightning for my head and to light up the background).

I also find that my lightning gear which are 2 units of "Magic Square softbox 44 x 44 cm" to really spread out the light so I have been looking at "eggcrates" / "softbox grids" to direct my lightning better in this confined space. What do you think about that?

Would bouncing the light off from the roof decrease its intensity?

Thank you very much for taking your time to reply. I really appreciate advice from more experienced people! 🙂

Take Care & Have An Awesome Day, Rocky M! / Max.

Participant

Even if you are in a tight space, you can use portable lights and a deflector to minimized its bright.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap