How to mute sound in video

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I have a video with a dialogue between two people and I wish to mute the voice of both people on ad-hoc basis but not at the same time.
      Is there someone who can advice me how to do it?
      Thanks

Could you please elaborate?

Participant

Hello

Imagine there are two people talking in a video and you want to mute what one person is saying- one sentence or even just one word the person is saying.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Still not really sure what you're trying to accomplish . . . If I understand you correctly, all you have to do is to fill the hole you would create by erasing a word or two with " room tone "; ie, whatever sound is being recorded when neither person is talking. That's why it's advisable during production to record a few seconds of sound on the set w/o any movement or breathing, or car by's etc. If you have overlapping dialog and you want to remove one of the actors, you'll be confronted by an entirely different problem!

Rick Crampton

I'm not sure how more clear I can be. If two people are talking at the same time, yer screwed, unless you want to erase both actors and replace only the actor you want to be heard. If your actor's lines are in the clear, ( not overlapping ) you can erase the lines you don't want to keep and fill the gap with " room tone " as I described above. Perhaps ultimately more flexible, rather than just erasing the voice you don't want to be heard, you should move the line to another audio track which can be muted. In either case, the resulting hole in your " A " dialog must be filled with room tone.

Perhaps I'm missing the point? Are you actually asking how to accomplish what I'm suggesting within your particular editing program? Sorry, I can't help you there . . .

Rick Crampton

Participant

Dear Rick

I want the second option, I want to remove the voices of the actors in turns, one is talking and the other is mute.

I want people to guess what the actor is saying without hearing the voice.

Do you have an idea how to do it?

Thank you

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap