How to create MOV files that play full screen without distortion

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing How to create MOV files that play full screen without distortion

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hello,

I would like to know how to create MOV files that play full screen (computer) without distortion using the equipment I currently have available to me, though it is admittedly somewhat dated. I am using a Sony PD170 camera and Imovie 11 (eleven) I am using the older Imovie because I like that it has a number system to grade color corrections that I can jot down and use to replicate exactly uture iterations of the same video – unlike newer versions of Imovie where its just done by sight.

Even though I am using MIniDv instead of HD, when I play back video on a large TV screen it is crisp and clear. And when I export 640 x 480 VGA in Imovie it is as well but it gets distorted when you blow it up full screen. So, therefore, exporting in a larger format seems the way to go but when I try any of the larger formats (768 x 576 SD, 1280 x 720 HD, 1920 x 1080 HD) it comes out distorted even though its playing at its actual size.

Given that I can watch these videos crisply and clearly on a large TV screen and that they used to shoot whole movies using these kinds of cameras I know there must be a way to achieve a larger screen that 640 x 480 that is crisp and clear.

Is it the limitation of Imovie? If I were to use something like Final Cut Express (all I’m shooting are audition tapes) would that solve the problem?

These are the settings I am using in IMovie:

Compression type: H.264
      Frame Rate: 29.97
      Data Rate: Restrict to 1000 kblts/sec
      Key Frames: Automatic
      Compressor Quality: High
      Encoding: Faster encode (single-pass)
      Optimized for: Download
      Deinterlace Source Video

Keep in mind these are audition tapes that need to be sent and consumed fairly quickly in most cases, so I would like to avoid files that take too too long to process and/or download, though some added size/time is doable.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Posted: Tue, 08/01/2017 – 4:04pm

Participant

Take a look at this 2011 Videomaker Forum exchange for a start: https://www.videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/convert-sd-to-hd-is-it-really-possible It may answer some of your questions.

Generally speaking, upres from SD to HD is unsatisfactory as there are simply not enough pixels in the SD format to permit a successful upres. At the very least you will have letter-boxing and almost certainly a softening of the PD-170 image. You might try using Handbrake to convert the SD to MP4 and see if that helps.

iMovie, like Windows Movie Maker would not be my software of choice. I suspect you’ll get more satisfactory results using Final Cut Express although I’m not a Mac user and am only guessing at this.

palladini971palladini971
      Participant

I think the best and cheapest route, would be for him, if he has a Big enough Hard Drive is to Download the ISO for Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya Operating system, burn it to thumb drive then install the OS on His Hard. Go through your Software Manager and Download KDenlive, an awesome Non Linear Video Editing Program, And If he has Thumb drive, 4 or more GB in size, or DVD he can burn the ISO to, he needs nothing else, because this all Free to do.

I edit all videos on Kdenlive now. In the PC world, it equivalent to Sony Vegas 10 or better

Participant

Most of my video production uses archive material, so I have SD at 768 x 576 and then HD 1980 x 1080 from the current cameras. Using an HD 720 preset works for me fine.

When you say distortion, I presume you mean that circles aren’t circular but oval? If on the other hand you just mean circles are circles but just soft or fuzzy edged, then it’s just a lack of pixels. Between 768 x 576 and 600 x 480 the pixel count is nearly halved! I think your problem is that 600 x 480 is not even SD definition so you’re losing quality all over the place. 1280 x 720 works well for me from decent source.

Participant

I think his problem is that his software is deinterlacing his 640×480 video (which is NTSC converted to square pixels from NTSC’s rectangular pixels), so he’s ending up with something that’s missing a field and is doubling one field to get the 480p image. So he’s ending up with only half his resolution, not to mention using a very lossy compression in h.264.

Participant

I would recommend getting one of those set top DVD recorders and just transferring over FireWire the tapes to DVD and send the DVD, as the DVD will retain the interlacing, and even the cheapest DVD player from Walmart will do a better job at deinterlacing than any software. Otherwise, aside from getting a Terranex or other hardware deinterlacer and running a S-Video feed from the camera through that into a computer, you are getting the best right now.

Thank you so much for your reply. How can I fix this?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap