How much to charge a client to do a video?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      I know I would get good advice on this forum.

Here is my question:  Is there a industry standard on how much you charge a client to do a video for them? I was asked to do a 5-7 minute video about a small company (and it's different locations which are close-by) about its services, staff, customers, background company info, and of course B-roll.

I don't like/want to charge by an hourly rate, but as a single project. I have done 15-20 video's before, a commercial for a contest, pro-bono work, and all these have been non-paid or part of my job related work. Now it is a paying assignment. I will write, produce, direct, film, and do the audio and editing myself. Forgetting the company's annual budget, just in general (or as close as possible), how much does one charge a company for a video? I "heard" it was based on $1000.00 per each finished minute. Anyone else hear this too?

Would love to hear from the experienced video production people out there (not on their personal rate, but for an entire video).

Thanks Again!!!
    Participant

I have heard of of this however I don't normally change that way. I mean how can you charge someone $1000 for a 1 minute interview that will need pratically no editing at all at the same time how can you change someone $1000 when the whole video is filled with motion graphics, custom music, or you have a team of 4 people present when you're shooting? 

When we quote clients we base it on each individual project requirments, this could be in fact on a project base or on a dailly base.

For a project like yours i would go for the full project quote and think about how many hours i would spend shooting the video because of its various locations. 

Participant

Don't fall into the trick of charging for the running time of a project – it's based on days and people for me. Quote for X days shooting with X people, and X days anticipated editing, with additional days if required at X. I often suggest cost saving measure if I can think of them to give the client an option.

It's fairly common for me with industrial projects to find the client wants to use their untrained people to front the project, so I usually offer the cost of getting a professional presenter in, and warn them that often untrained people might add to the shooting time, which they always do – two days for two of the clients staff to read complex figures off an autocue. Two days vs half a day with the pro? Also make sure you also quote for extra edit time to deal with client requests – so when they ask for a different version you can charge for it.

Participant

Thank you both for your input and advice!!!

A couple of additional thoughts: Eddie Justo has a good point–what you charge should be based on your actual cost of producing the project. Multiply that by a markup, and you have a rough idea of what you can charge. Personally, I wouldn't charge less than a 100% markup under any circumstances. In the ad agency world, a markup of 400% is not considered unusual for high-quality work.

Under this approach, project estimation and budgeting is critical. Make certain that your client knows what is and isn't included in your proposal, and get everything in writing! Make sure that the client understands what services are included in your quote–how many days' shooting, how many cuts of the deliverable, and so on. Otherwise, they will break you with forty days and forty nights of shooting and a dozen cuts of the film. All for a thirty-second commercial.

• Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap