How much should I charge?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      I'm a high school student who has a lot of experience with videography and need help with quoting a client. This past football season, I have made multiple videos for the team anything from highlights to interviews and recently one of the players asked me to make them a promo video. Personally, I believe that I have enough experience with editing/shooting and that my videos are defiantly worth buying but I don't know how much to charge. I am worried about over charging because being a high school student, I believe they shouldn't pay as much as a professional. 
      Any suggestions will help.

How much to charge? The highest possible price that you can quote with a straight face!

That's an old joke, but it's got a lot of truth. Normally, I recommend to people that they figure out their total cost do do a shoot, including equipment (how much would it cost to rent it?) and the value of their time (How much to hire a camera operator? An Editor?) Then add 30%, because we're all trying to make a living. But if the shoot is worth more than that to the client, charge more!

I live in Southern California, where rich daddies regularly pay $20K for wedding videos. The guys that make them probably invest about $1,500 in each shoot, including equipment amortization and crew cost. But they're selling a concept: "A Hollywood production starring your daughter" So, they do very nicely, even after paying a $5,000 finder's fee to the wedding planner who got them the job.

In your case, ask yourself: What is the video worth to the football player? Can he get it done anywhere else? Is he using it to get tryouts for football clubs? What league is he trying out for? Then quote a price. If he accepts, your quote was too low. If he balks, you quoted it correctly, and the haggling can begin. That is quite often the way the game is played.

Hope that helps!

There are three ways that businesses usually approach price setting:

1) Take the cost of goods and add a percentage. In a creative service business something like 20-30% might be plausible,

2) You charge what the customer is prepared to pay, or

3) You investigate your competitors’ pricing and match or beat it.

Understandably you are a student and not a business (not yet anyway) but I'm sure a combination of the above will help you figure out what to charge.

Hope that helps, Ben

Producer, Global Pictures

Learn the secrets of success in the film industry. Get my course:
      https://www.udemy.com/how-i-make-300000-as-a-video-producer-how-you-can-too/?couponCode=blog-promo

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap