First of all, here is my equipment…

DSLR Nikon D500 various lenses

FCPX for editing

After Effects

iMac and Macbook for editing

Tripod

Led Lighting

SAMPLE:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjsTpVQP-FQ

So i made that video. It took me 2 hours to film at the party and about 7-8 hours of video editing. Competition is not so much since I am the only one around the school and area that makes theese videos. The sample was my first paid project, and I had no idea how much to charge so i went for the first offer and i know i undersold myself big time. I charged  $900 pesos equivalent to $71 dollars.

Next month, there will be a big party and I have been asked to make the Aftermovie for it. It will have a "cover" fee, $8 dollars (100 MXN) for women and $12 ($150 MXN) dollars for guys.

The facebook event has aproximately 600 people on the list, so it is going to be a big event= big money for the hosts. Approximately $4340 dollars ( $55,000 mexican pesos) 

I dont want to undersell myself again since I am sure that is not what my work is worth. 

How much should I charge for a similar video, with an animated event name, and a little bit longer in duration?

Please, any help is appreciated. thank you.

Inactive

Jose, 

There are people on this forum that will tell you to charge $30-$50/hour, and if they don't like your price then don't do it. However, I'm writing to tell you to play it cool and play it smart. 

Consider what you are doing right now a resume builder. If this is what you want to do, this could be an in for you to do more videos for club promoters, DJ's… etc. For now I would suggest giving them a reasonable hourly rate ($15-$20/hour) that way you still get $200 for 10 hours of work to make it semi worth it. As you develop your skills and get more clients and contacts, thats when you bump up your hourly rate and leave this first gig in the dust.. unless they are willing to pay the price you've set for yourself. Eventually bumping your hourly rate to $30, then on to $50. If you're good at what you do and easy to work with, you can create some demand for yourself and charge the premium.

Participant

I'm going to pretty much echo what Jordan told you.  Since that was your first paid shoot, you were pretty much on target with your price.  The first wedding I shot with my professional equipement I did for free.  After that I charged a very low amount and then worked my prices up gradually. 

Like he said, you are building your resume right now.  People are going to want to see samples of your work and they will not be willing to pay top dollar if you don't have lots of good videos for them to watch.  $15-$20 per hour is a good place to start.  You also might check out what the competition is charging and plan on pricing your services a reasonable amount lower (just not too low or people will think something's wrong with your work). 

Market yourself as "the most affordable, high quality videographer" in your area in the beginning, and then work up your prices as demand increases.  I went into business for myself 3 years ago and waited a full year before raising prices the first time, and then about 6 months before doing it again. 

Jon

http://www.creekhouseproductions.com

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap