How many fps for travel videos using multiple cameras

Phantusm's picture

Hello all,

So I'm going on a snowboard trip, and I want to record the trip and make a travel video.
I will be bringing my Canon 760d dslr along with my new GoPro Hero 5 black.

So my question is, how many fps should i be filming in? I have been reading around for an answer, and from what i can find, the best option for the GoPro when I'm snowboarding would be 60 fps to capture the action better. But I will be shooting with the Canon 760d when I'm not snowboarding, and the Canon can't shoot 60 fps in 1080p.

So I was thinking if I'm shooting in 24 fps with the GoPro when snowboarding, would the video look bad or boring? I will use 120 fps when I want a shot to be slow motion.

How do you travel video makers normally do it?

Kevin Mc's picture

If you're going to be using (and, to easily allow you to use) multiple cameras at various frame rates, I would recommend that your basic production frame rate be 30p. Higher frame rates like 60 & 120fps are based on multiples of 30p.

paulears's picture

Good advice - multiples convert fine later - so as the go pro material will be the most exciting, I'd shoot in 60/120 on that, and then 30 on the canon. They'll be better on the timelines. 24 means throwing random frames away - some of which will be detrimental.