How its done? Video effect done on American Idol

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey guys!

So I noticed this cool video effect that was done on American Idol, where the singer was shot from 2 different angles and it turned out it be one whole shot. (@ Camera angles but overlapping to reveal the singer from 2 different angles) I was just wondering how they did it? I'm asking because I'm pretty sure it was done LIVE. As in during a Live Broadcast, using multiple cameras and a switcher. I figured its really easy to create that effect in post production, but since its a Live Broadcast, thats a totally different story

Here is the link to the Video: http://youtu.be/GEaz9NIdAUU?t=33s

This would help a lot! Thanks!

Participant

If you know what you're doing, this is a very easy effect to do live. Video switchers used in the broadcast industry can handle something like this with the push of a few buttons. Here's an example of a very good one from a well-known company called Grasss Valley. Click on the Image Gallery button and be amazed at the complexity of what one person operates πŸ™‚
      http://www.grassvalley.com/products/kayenne

Mike

It's handled by the board in the control room–goes way beyond the capabilities of most switchers. It's basically just an overlay; you have to shoot the talent on a black background. Camera 1 does the MCU on the talent, Camera 2 does the long shot. The Technical Director composites the two shots on the board, reducing the size of #2 to put it in the corner. Most boards will let the TD create a garbage matte around the #2 shot to isolate the portion that will be used for the overlay.

The shot is usually worked out in advance bbetween the director and the TD, and a lot of boards let the TD precompose the overlay and save it, so it can be punched up with the press of a button. During the show, the director cues the overlay, the camera people compose their shots (while #3 is live), and the TD punches up the overlay. The director calls a take on the overlay, and the TD sends it out live.

Participant

Laguna, most switchers these days can do this effect easily, no garbage matte needed.

At the community college I work for, we have a very old Ross switcher (another good manufacturer) that can do this and it was built in 1979.

I can't get the video to play for me right now but, as I recall, it was a two camera shot of her dissolving into a third one, holding it and then losing the two camera shot. On my switcher (a 3 buss model), I would have camera 1 on buss 1 (Program buss), camera 2 on buss 2 and 3 on 3 (the FX buss). Camera 1 would be live with 2 and 3 setup for the effect. I dissolve from 1 to 2, fade in 3 1/2 way and hold it for a short time and then fade from the FX buss (2 and 3) to the program buss (camera 1). Switchers these days are capable of doing a LOT more than I just described.

Mike

Participant

how to use such swichers for these effects, can these switchers produce multiple effects?

Participant

As long as you know how to use them, broadcast switchers can easily do these kinds of effects. For example, if you ever watch a pro sporting event, everything you see is coming from a pro video switcher. Some sequences are pre-packaged in other programs such as After Effects and titles are generally done using a tool called called a Chyron but it's all fed into the switcher and the operator controls what you see at home.

The following video might help explain things a bit better. The Technical Director position (the person who runs the video switcher) is briefly explained starting at the 4 min. mark.

http://www.wimp.com/controlroom/

Mike

Participant

Thanks for explanation, i will try to use them for produce multiple effects.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video β€” 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap