How is a smart clapperboard used for synchronizing the audio track with the video?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear How is a smart clapperboard used for synchronizing the audio track with the video?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I read that the slate and the audio recorder are connected. And a track of time-codes is created along with the audio track; the time-code, with the frame (1-30) is displayed continuously on the slate and with a camera rolling at 30 fps we can align the audio with the video because the changing frame number on the slate is can be viewed in a 1/30th frame in the beginning, right?

But, how it works when the camera rolls at, say 24 fps or 50 fps ? I’m confused, please clear me up…

Participant

All the smart slates I know jam to (take time from) a time code generator (internal or external). These run at SMPTE standard frame rates of 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
      A pro audio recorder locks to the generated frame rate as it has a timecode input jack on it.
      Do a search on “timecode” and “timecode slate” on http://jwsoundgroup.net/, a great pro audio forum that discusses this a lot.

Mike

Participant

I forgot to mention that because the camera and audio recorder are both locked to the same frame rate, it’s easy to sync them up in the edit suite.

Mike

Yeah, but,. how is syncing possible when the slate+audio recorder and the camera are going at different frame rates?

Participant

That’s why you use a time code generator to make sure that everything is running at the same frame rate. The generator should be set to match whatever your camera is set to and then everything syncs to it. Not doing this means more work in post to get everything synced up. It’s not impossible because it’s been done for years before the introduction of modern technology.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap