How do I know what to charge for a project?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello! I was recently asked to shoot and edit video for a promotional DJ event. I am relatively inexperienced outside of personal and school films and videos. I am shooting with a GL2 for a five hour event then editing it and putting a song to it. I have no idea how or what to charge. Do you have any suggestions? I appreciate any help! Thank you!

heather

What's their budget (and what's it worth to them)?  What market are you in?  How much time will you spend doing something like this?  What will it cost you to do it (in temrs of $$ but also in terms of other opportunities)?  What is it worth to your demo reel?  Is there possibility of repeat business if this goes well?  Is this a new market for you?  Do you stand to gain anything "intangible" from this? How much do you need to live?

If you can get a feel for what they are willing to spend, or how much they value this project, then you will not leave too much money on the table.  On the other hand, you also have to decide if their budget is worth the amount of time and effort you will have to expend to get it done. 

Participant

Anderson Sound Recording brings up a lot of good points. The only thing I would add is that you're shooting on a GL2 (a great camera 10 years ago) as opposed to an HDV or FullHD camera. SD is sadly not worth as much as HD.

At the very minimum, make sure you cover your costs (tape, gas, etc.) Maybe try to work in some perks such as green room access and food. If these folks are reputable, they shouldn't mind signing a contract outlining the terms of the agreement. Also make sure you retain the rights to the product to promote yourself in the future.

Mike WilhelmMike Wilhelm
      Keymaster

Hi Heather-

We have a tool to help you figure out what to charge for video work. Check it out!

http://www.videomaker.com/video-rate-calculator

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap