how can i combine ppt and video?

fhp89136's picture

i am planning on recording some speakers at an event.

In final video, i want to display their presentation and video side by side. how to do that? how can i combine both in a video?

what software to use? how to do that?

can anyone help please?

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

One way to handle this is to put the speaker into an upper quarter Picture-in-Picture, with the PowerPoint filling the rest of the screen. The problem you'll often run into is that the PPT will have been designed to occupy the entire screen and your PnP will obscure some of the text.

Better is to cut away from the speaker to a full screen PPT with the speaker's voice over, then cut back to the speaker. Most PPT is a crutch that really is unworthy of much time on screen. It's often not informational but rather a reinforcement to what is being said. You can safely cut away from it when it's not specifically related to what the speaker is saying.

We always shoot speakers with PPT presentations using two cameras, one on the speaker, one on the PPT screen. This provides an excellent reference to connect the speaker and PPT when you're editing.

You may not be aware that PPT can be output to video formats -- .avi and .mp4 I believe. This will give you the best image to include in your final edit. PPT shots of the screen invariably have white balance issues, often serious enough that they are unusable. You'll need to arrange with the speaker beforehand to get a digital copy of the PPT presentation for your edit.

Ed Merritt's picture
Plus Member

Download and evaluate the free version of vMix https://www.vmix.com. vMix has a Powerpoint input which will require that you obtain a copy of the Powerpoint prior to the presenter speaking. The free version permits two inputs - an HDMI input using a capture card such as El Gato 60S or something similar, and the second input can be any one of several options, including a Powerpoint file.

The free vMix will accommodate a recording of the presentation but if memory serves, it will not allow an HD recording. For that you will need to purchase a license for $60.

fhp89136's picture

Thank you for the detailed answers.
Question: Do I need to record ppt at the time of speaker's presentation? OR I can only record speaker during the event and later on take his PPT and convert into video and then combine ppt video and speaker's video (recording by camera) by a editing software? And I should use software you recommended above?

I am naive in this area so sorry for simply questions.

Is this the correct procedure?

Ed Merritt's picture
Plus Member

There are ways to include the Powerpoint slides in post, but you will need to know what slide the presenter is displaying at any given time. That means you will need to capture the screen while shooting the presenter. Room lighting may make that difficult, as the screen may be washed out while the presenter is properly lit. The best method is to record the Powerpoint at the time the of the presentation.

Alternatively, using a second camera focused on the screen to capture the Powerpoint slides is possible, but will require work in post to sync.

LRCS_Dale's picture

Jack Wolcott's method of switching back and forth would be best, though I would not normally suggest putting a camera on anything being projected. You can get an Atomos Ninja 2, it will record any video signal (HDMI) that you put through it and will pump the signal back out for the screens. Then in post production you can AB edit the footage or play with the scale and position of the videos (or even crop the videos to the core subject) and place them side by side, though there will be inconsistencies if you are not using uniform scaling.

If you are low on time however, just make a note of what slide is used and when (according to your cameras timecode), then get the presentation afterwards. All you would have to do then is take the slides, screenshot or Snip them to make photos, and edit them in post production.

As for editing software I would suggest Adobe's Premiere Pro. They do offer trial versions, which while they do not compare to the full versions, it will get you through this video.

Torence's picture

To read on this post, I'm going to find solutions in this field. Thanks for Jacks' nice comment to support me method to deal with this trouble.