Horizontal Banding Problem?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      halfisher
      Participant

Does anyone have an accurate answer on how to stop horizontal banding in video shot with DSLRs? It happens in 4K, 2K on both my NX1 and FZ1000 with prime and zooms and lower ISO?

BruceMol
      Participant

Does that happen outdoors or just indoors under flourescent lights?

Is it just one camera? What camera? What settings? What lights? 

halfisher
      Participant

It happens inside near windows with soft filtered sunlight on both Panasonic FZ1000 and Samsung NX1 mirrorless cameras. I tried limiting ISO to max 400 and at f3.5 on both cameras. I shot 4K and 2K at 24p @60 fps but bands appeared on both cameras on the LCD backs as well as in my NLE. I did some more tests today and the banding gets somewhat less when using a really fast 14mm prime Rokinon lens on the NX1 (1.8) but it still can be (barely) seen in the background. I tried it in premiere CC and Vegas with filters for deinterlacing on/off and it made no difference. I rendered it out to a DVD and played it on my UHD TV and it wasn't hardly noticeable. Could this be a computer monitor "thing"? 

BruceMol
      Participant

If you can see the banding on your camera LCD it wouldn't be your monitor. The only time I've had banding problems was in a kitchen, that had a large window but also overhead flouresents. I turned off the kitchen lights and all was well. Try 30 fps as well, that may help. 

halfisher
      Participant

I'll give 30fps a try. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best cinema cameras — 2021

Determining the best cinema cameras on the market today can be complicated. Here are the first cameras you should consider
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN