hide the mic article

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

saw an article in my email from videomaker on hiding the mic.
      these days we're all budget comcious so I thought I'd share my little tip as well.

gaffer tape is expensive, hard to get and overkill for many uses where people recomment it.

green or blue painters tape has some advantages to consider..

it is cheap. it keys well for compositing. it is strong enough for many uses. and leaves no residue.

so dump your lint rollers for painter tape to save space in your grip bag… and leave the gaffer tape alone for smaller jobs…. like hiding your lav mics.

If you are taping a lav mic wire to the back of a shirt or inside of a jacket… painters tape works fine. costs less.

Participant

Good point, I bought some gaffers tape and I could have purchased an additional 4 rolls of painters tape for what I paid for one roll of gaffers tape. Thanks

Inactive

Hi, Guys… Jennifer here, with Videomaker, piping in. You can also try moleskin, the sticky-backed kind sold in the bandage department of most pharmacy and drugstores.[Dr. SCHOLLS:  http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/products/MoleskinPlusPadding.jspa%5D [ABOUT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moleskin%5D

Also, for bigger venues, remember if you're shooting in a public area like a mall, convention site or hotel banquet room, many of these places require all cables to be completely taped down and they won't allow any type of tape except Gaffer's tape due to sticky residue. So use the painter's tape when you can, and save the precious [costly!] Gaffer's tape for those times when nothing else will do.

Participant

[quote=D0n]it is cheap. it keys well for compositing. it is strong enough for many uses. and leaves no residue.[/quote]

Not so, painters tape aka masking tape will leave a nasty residue if exposed to heat, therefore I would strongly recommend, unless one likes paying damage claims to stick (pardon the pun) with gaffers tape.

By the way one can buy a brand like Rosco in quanity and pay less than the big box stores charge for masking tape.

Wayne  

Participant

[quote=VideoChick]Also, for bigger venues, remember if you're shooting in a public area like a mall, convention site or hotel banquet room, many of these places require all cables to be completely taped down and they won't allow any type of tape except Gaffer's tape due to sticky residue.[/quote]

I would add to that if taping down cables at a public venue always utilize a bright colored gaffers tape such as fluorescent orange pink or green, your insurance company will appreciate not hearing from you. 😉

http://www.rosco.com/stage/gafferstape.cfm

Wayne

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2021

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap