Hi, Beginner needing some more camera help. Focus?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi, i previously posted asking about recommendations for cameras and was 
      recommended the Canon Vixia Series, The Sony Handycam NEX VG20, and the Canon T3i.

I wanted to know which would be the best choice of the three?
      And, i was wondering how i would be able to control the focus with these cameras?
      I've fiddled with DSLRs in the past, but never camcorders really.
      I know that you can just twist the ring on the lens of a dslr to focus on certain things and blur others in photography. Is this the same for video? Can i do this with the VIXIA's? 

thank you

i'm just concerned about this because i would really like to be able to focus on different depths ( foreground, background, etc.)

In order to get a good in ground focus background out of focus, sometimes refered to as bokeh, you must have a Large Image sensor that produces a shallow depth of field.

In other words you need any camera with an APS-C sized image sensor. For example the NEX VG 20 has 16 megapixel sensor that is 23.5mm wide by 15.6mm tall. Film captures a frame the size of 35mm x 24mm, this is basically a measurement of the total area in which the light coming into the lens is captured, in film the little sockets that the images are captured in are 35mm x 24mm, this means more light is being captured, thus more resolution and detail is being captured

Film has always been the standard of image quality till the last 2 years, it takes in more light, creates greater resulotion, greater ability to see contrast and detail in shadow and light

now image sensors which are electronic have reached the size of film while maintain quality performance, allowing digital cameras to capture the same or close amount of light in the raw file data generated by the camera, meaning similiar detail, similiar color accuracy, similiar resolution. digital cameras way outperform film in that capacity to shoot in low light because of their ability to increase their own sensitivity to light greatly and then amplify the light that comes in in the raw file.

the red camera that hollywood uses is a digital camera that is completely equal to the best film cameras and many cases better, it has what is known as a Full Frame sensor, where the image sensor size is literally 35mm x 24mm,

pared with a good lens, cause another huge componet of image quality is the lens your looking through, produces amazing images, thus the red camera is used to shoot major movies all the time, but it costs 50k dollars

there are some cameras available at affordable prices that produe amazing results

DSLR Cameras: orginally made to take photos, companies put large sensors in them that worked in single shot or 10fps type senarios taking amzing high res pictures with large megapixel data digitally, eventually the image sensors where good enough to take high definition video on the large sensors, at this point users found that the video produced was high quality almost film like quality on a camera that they purchased for $1000

At this point DSLRs became popular in the video world producing awesome quality video, great bokeh, and having the ability to change the lens for different circumstances, all for 1000$

adding to my other posts here are some Great cameras to look at and their stats

DSLR's: 

Canon EOS 60D: 18.1 megapixel 22.3 x 14.9mm (APS-C size) image sensor

$1000 body only, raw file formats, records HD video at 1080 24p, 30p, 60i

Canon 7D:  19 megapixel 22.3 x 14.9mm (APS-C size) image sensor

$1599 body only, raw file formats, records HD video at 1080 24p, 30p, 60i

this has some more features then the 60D

Canon 5DmkII: 21 mega pixel, 36mm x 24mm Full frame sensor: film equivalent sized sensor

almost film quality image, $2199 for body only no lens

there are cheaper DSLRS just look at imgae sensor size then find some video and compare to these and see if the drop in price is worth it

DSLR Hybrids: now there are some Video style body cameras on the market that have the same large image sensor, interchangeable lenses, but the body style and more control like a video camera, these are what i like because unlike DSLRS they can continously record for more then 12 minutes

Sony NEX VG20: a 16.1 megapixel, 24.3 x 15.6mm image sensor, Video style body with full manual and audio control, interchangeable lenses and Electronic View finder, also comes with a 5.1 surround sound stereo micro phone on the camera

Price: 1599$ body only

Sony NEX VG900: 24.3 megapixel 36mm x 24mm  full frame sensor, video style body with interchangeable lenses  and full controls, Body only $3299

adding to my other posts here are some Great cameras to look at and their stats

DSLR's: 

Canon EOS 60D: 18.1 megapixel 22.3 x 14.9mm (APS-C size) image sensor

$1000 body only, raw file formats, records HD video at 1080 24p, 30p, 60i

Canon 7D:  19 megapixel 22.3 x 14.9mm (APS-C size) image sensor

$1599 body only, raw file formats, records HD video at 1080 24p, 30p, 60i

this has some more features then the 60D

Canon 5DmkII: 21 mega pixel, 36mm x 24mm Full frame sensor: film equivalent sized sensor

almost film quality image, $2199 for body only no lens

there are cheaper DSLRS just look at imgae sensor size then find some video and compare to these and see if the drop in price is worth it

DSLR Hybrids: now there are some Video style body cameras on the market that have the same large image sensor, interchangeable lenses, but the body style and more control like a video camera, these are what i like because unlike DSLRS they can continously record for more then 12 minutes

Sony NEX VG20: a 16.1 megapixel, 24.3 x 15.6mm image sensor, Video style body with full manual and audio control, interchangeable lenses and Electronic View finder, also comes with a 5.1 surround sound stereo micro phone on the camera

Price: 1599$ body only

Sony NEX VG900: 24.3 megapixel 36mm x 24mm  full frame sensor, video style body with interchangeable lenses  and full controls, Body only $3299

Participant

Thanks JKnight!

Right now, i'm leaning towards a DSLR because of it's price.
      Are there any other DSLR hybrids that for any less?

And another question, for a dslr what other necessary components would i have to buy to make up a viable rig? 

External Audio? Viewfinder?

Thanks.

Anyone have advice on the Vixias?

I am about to buy the NEX VG20, my total price for an effective production rig to start me out is $3000 to do real true quality, this includes 3 lenses, a tripod, extra batteries, carrying case, a $200 shotgun microphone with a boom stand an arm to use in multiple situations, and some sort of steadicam for non tripod situations.

My advice in terms of what camera to get, there are only 2 ways to go, DSLR or DSLR hybrid cause of the image quality, the quality of the video, is so awesome it blows away anything that isnt gonna be $7000 or more.

in terms of audio, you get a nice microphone for it, but then you get and XLR adapter to 3.5mm mini jack input, you just have to make sure that the adpater cord is correctly wired, they cost about $5

THE best part about DSLR and DSLR hydbrids, is that the lenses are interchangeable they arent attached to camera all the time, so 3 years down the road when you decide to upgrade to a newer more expensive model DSLR or DSLR hybrid, then you can keep your lenses, sell your camera, buy the new one body only and you already have lens for it. On top of it you can buy lenses that are expensive that will upgrade your image quality, you can buy better lenses, to make your DSLR even better, like a $1400 Carl Zeiss Lens that gives you top quality image

the sony NEX VG20 is currently the lowest priced hybrid, all the other versions are like $3000, $7000, and Canon's version is $10,500

the VG20 is the only one made in the $1500-$2000 range body only

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap