Help with exposure

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Scrappy
      Participant

Hi everybody!

i have a problem understanding exposure in video. I shoot stills so i understand how it works for stills, but when it comes to video i have some troubles. First of all in which mode should i shoot videos with my dslr? Manual, aperture priority? Then i don't get it if i shoot in manual, set the exposure and shoot just a static scene it's ok, but what if i need to pan and the light changes? What if i pan from dark to light? So manual mode doesn't really work in this situation. What if i need my aperture and shutter fixed? Like f2.8 and 1/50s? Than i pan and everything goes overexposed. Is there auto iso function? 

Thank you in advance for the help!

newpball
      Participant

Why would that not work?

Think about it, if you pan from dark to light for sure you would want to see an end result of going from dark to white, if the settings would change real time your video will look strange to say the least. 

A good starting point is to doube the shutter speed (e.g for 24p set it to 1/48, 30p set it to 1/60, 30i set it to 1/120 etc) and use a variable ND filter to keep your exposure in range.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available — 2021

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN