Help with choosing hardware specs for editing/rendering

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Help with choosing hardware specs for editing/rendering

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Kevin
      Participant

Hi all,

Hope this is in the right place..first post in this forum.

I am banging my head on what to do about my in-progress computer for editing/rendering. I have already bought a large case with multiple fans, a 1200watt p/s, and a cpu water cooler. I also have a hyubrid 750GB HD for my main boot drive (Windows 8 Pro). I will be putting in a 128GB SSD scratch disk, and a 256GB SSD render disk, along with a couple 3TB drives for storage of audio, video, etc to use.

I also am a software developer who uses virtual machines for my daily work, and my thought is that I can utilize this same machine to run VMs for dev work when I am not using it for editing/rendering. Hence one of the 3TB drives holding VMs. I also have an exteranl USB3 SATA3 dock that I use for my SSD and external HDs for backup and transfering video files (I use a Shuttle 2 for recording video sometimes).

I keep reading that the higher end Intel cpus with 6 cores are faster than the 8-core AMD, but given that I want to run multiple VMs (up to 10 or more at once), and that Adobe CS6 can utilize all cores for rendering now.. my thoughts are pushing me towards a dual-cpu G34 socket setup, where by I could eventually purchase 2 16-core cpus. My question on this.. if I were to put in a good graphics card, like nVidia Quadro or the AMD graphics card that is similar to a Quadro (but a lot cheaper .. forget the name).. perhaps even 2 of them, along with 64GB ram, the SSD drives, and 2 cpus.. would that be a better overall setup for what I will use this machine for and still provide superb rendering/editing capabilities? Or is it without a doubt the wrong way to go and an Intel 6-core would be better? For the money, the Xeon is a bit too pricey for me, I would start off with just one g-34 cpu and 32GB ram, hence I can't afford to purchase a dual-socket Xeon setup with even one Xeon given how expensive they are.

I don't plan on playing video games with this machie..I have an AMD 1100t 6-core that does plenty good on games, and my consoles.. so this is purely an editing/rendering/dev vm machine.

So.. I am leaning towards the g-34 dual-socket (or maybe even single socket) given the large price difference and the number of cores I could get to eventually hoping that the number of cores + ram would be good enough.

Lastly.. any idea if we're ever going to see a Thunderbolt add-in card? I'd love to have Thunderbolt, but no g34 motherboard has it.

Thank you.

theonecanoe
      Participant

Wow, talk about "overkill"   Of course that setup would be up to the video editing task!!!  I say if you got the money, go for it.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best products of 2021

Best products of 2021

With so many great products this year, we've taken the time to review the best of the best. These are our picks for the best products of 2021.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN