Help Grainy Video!

Kenny Stokes's picture
Plus Member

I have used a Sony Ex1r for a while and it has given me great pictures and video. However lately I have been getting very grainy video. I have played around with the settings, light placement, etc, and so far not much has changed. I use the on-camera monitor and a larger HD tv as a monitor to check the image, but I never see the grain until I upload to Premiere Pro. Please help?

Trevor's picture

From what I see on BH is that the camera records in XDCAM EX for HD, and DVCAM for SD. Could it be that you are recording in DVCAM rather than XDCAM, and you're getting the grain from upconverting?

Kenny Stokes's picture
Plus Member

I checked, but I am recording in HD 1080/30. The only difference when I throw the footage to PP is that I am down converting into 720/30. I have two of the cameras and the other one has been doing fine at the same settings. Thinking about going ahead and sending it to Sony... I did the record the eclipse with it and while I used a strong filter, I probably did damage the sensor a bit when I was adjusted the lens every now and again.

Video Studio LRCS