Help Grainy Video!

Kenny Stokes's picture
Plus Member

I have used a Sony Ex1r for a while and it has given me great pictures and video. However lately I have been getting very grainy video. I have played around with the settings, light placement, etc, and so far not much has changed. I use the on-camera monitor and a larger HD tv as a monitor to check the image, but I never see the grain until I upload to Premiere Pro. Please help?

Trevor's picture

From what I see on BH is that the camera records in XDCAM EX for HD, and DVCAM for SD. Could it be that you are recording in DVCAM rather than XDCAM, and you're getting the grain from upconverting?

Kenny Stokes's picture
Plus Member

I checked, but I am recording in HD 1080/30. The only difference when I throw the footage to PP is that I am down converting into 720/30. I have two of the cameras and the other one has been doing fine at the same settings. Thinking about going ahead and sending it to Sony... I did the record the eclipse with it and while I used a strong filter, I probably did damage the sensor a bit when I was adjusted the lens every now and again.

Video Studio LRCS
Sony PMW-EX1R (2)
Adobe Creative Suite
Asus Prime X299; Intel i9-7900X; GTX 1080 Ti; 64GB DDR4; Win 10 Pro

flipdiving's picture

Thank you for your sharing. Thanks to this article I can learn more things. Expand your knowledge and abilities. Actually the article is very practical. Thank you!
http://quizbucket.org/quiz/nodejs

game1234's picture

You can control panel window 10,so follow this format step by step,you can easy to understand,this operating system,i am very happy,it is very usefully information,click this visit http://controlpanelwindows10.com where do i find control panel windows 10,control panel is basic based on the controlling manager of a company,you can easily control by control panel.

Charles Bennett's picture

That "grain" is noise. If it is not apparent when viewing the footage before uploading, then the problem may be in the upload. How are you doing this? If using a cable connection, suspect this first and try a different cable. You say you shot the eclipse, so yes sensor damage could be the other cause.

Canon Legria G40 - Zoom H2n - Dell XPS 8700 - i7-4790 3.60Ghz 4 core - 24Gb DDR3 - Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti - Win 10 - DaVinci Resolve 14.1
Dell Precision 490 Workstation - Dual 5355 4 core Xeon - 16gb DDR3 - Win 7 Ultimate - Pro Tools 12.8.2

Alexp's picture

I have been searching for a solution to this issue. Though there is software that boasts to nullify these noises in the video, they do this process by compromising the quality of the video file. The often smoothens the frames to get rid of the noise.
https://www.toplinehb.com/offroad/